I was driving the long straight road between Sale and Bairnsdale en route to my parents', just thinking about things, when the penny dropped so audibly I literally laughed out loud:
At my age and current fitness I cannot aggressively build up my running kms and my cycling base at the same time.
Thank goodness this notion penetrated my naive noggin before I bull-headed myself into a chronic injury.
A comment from the lovely Beck about my schedule collided in my mind with a line from John Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals - reaching for the stars is fine until your arms get tired. My exercise schedule at the moment is not right for me because it is not failure-proof. Every week I 'aim' for six sessions - and never get there. I never 'succeed'. When I write the bloody thing, that's just silly! Henceforth, five sessions are the ideal - then if I do get six in then I will be a f%&*ing superhero instead of just a legend LOL ROFL.
But....
With the acknowledgement that I am not immortal comes the necessity of choosing between sacrificing the winter to Minerva for the sake of a less-tragic bike leg in next summer's triathlons, or the original plan of three half-marathons....(and more bling)....hmmmmmmmmm....
No hurry to decide though. That's good.
The main thing is that I am sucking up the impatience and the frustration and being humble enough about my capabilities - while being fairly arrogant in my goals -to not injure myself. I am LBTEPA, hear me roar!
In other news, project "get away from The Number!" is going quite well. I am growing quite fond of my little yellow food notebook, symbolising as it does my aim of eating for fuel first, pleasure second - and numbness, never.
Don't ask about AFDs as I will have to lie and make excuses and you don't want that. Let's just talk about the lovely run around the river track I had this morning. It's so pretty, we must move here.
Now I am off to loll on the verandah and watch Noddie chase Mum's dogs around the yard.
More anon, groovers
8 comments:
Oh I know the feeling. I tend to compartmentalise my exercise so I have running goals and weights goals etc. but, like you say, you can't work on everything at once.
Don't ask me about my diet over the last couple of days...
Some logical thinking there!
I love it when the penny drops! Sounds like a relaxing weekend.
but what if the penny is dropped from the Rialto Towers?!?!? it'll go through your eyeball all the way down to your toes and your guts will go splat to splat!
i was going to comment, but as i'm eating a small bowl of jellybeans for dinner (husband is away, the sugar high will play), it's best to just shut up and read.
Well, you know you have to choose, I think. Run long or do triathlons. It is really a balancing act, is it not! Good luck on finding your groove. Its out there.
I'm having the same dilema myself. It's time for me to face reality and pick a path to pursue rather than try to take a dangerous and unchartered road in the middle. Best wishes!!
However......
aiming high and not quite getting there is better than aiming low and not stretching yourself enough!
It's finding the balance that's tough.
I like the lolling around on the verandah part best. :)
Post a Comment