(here's one I prepared earlier)
LBTEPA would particularly like to express her gratitude to the ever-supportive, although sometimes understandably bewildered Spousal Unit, my Mum (ditto, minus the bewilderment - she's known me longer) and of course my five faithful readers, whose patience and seeming fascination with the interminable minutiae of Very Slow Marathon running seems to know no bounds.So, about this Big Long Run Coming Up ......
These days I know a bit about how I can do marathons - obviously not fast, mind you, but reliable. Don't try this at home, kiddies! I am fairly confident that my mad plan for the last four weeks will get me over the line on 09/10/11. During the reign of The Cough I've exercised almost every day, mostly cycling and walking but moving which is the main thing. I've practiced all my visualisations and training mantras over and over. This weekend, all being well, I'll do a glacially slow 32km. The following week is the Bairnsdale half marathon so I will do that race but walk there and back, making 32km all up. The following weekend I'll do another 32km, once again as slowly as possible without actually coming to a complete stop. That should get my mind around hanging in there for hour upon slow, tedious hour on race day! It will be great!
Mind you, it could all go horribly wrong. We shall see.
I know why I'm doing this marathon, too (all being well).
- it's a trip to the Big Smoke yes yes I know I could just come up for a day's shopping....
- to catch up with my dear comrades in Stupid Determination
- to reconnect with my tribe, the slow, brave, proud back-of-the-packers
- to see my good CR friends, who are indirectly responsible for all this because of their kindness and encouragement to a complete beginner
- because I CAN. When I was ill with chronic fatigue I walked very short distances, very slowly, often with a cane. Why would I not run a marathon now?
- because I've been blessed with the gifts of health, patience and endurance (and Stupid Determination) and I think I should use them.
Wanna know the real truth? I'm doing this because I want to, and FOR THE BLING!
More anon, bounty hunters!
6 comments:
Hoorah - sooooo glad you're on the mend and all is going ahead! And I'd totally do it for the bling too .... because I love the fact that this ex-fat person (that would me) now has one or two medals and finisher's t-shirts lurking, although no marathons, because I'm not that crazy ... or maybe just don't have the stellar amounts of Stupid Determination you do - you rock!
Full speed ahead, because you CAN, and because you are a ROCK STAR!!
Fabulous news!!! Crossing that finish line will be all the more satisfying!
I read somewhere in the lead up to the VLM that if you make it to the start line of a marathon, you've already 80% of the way there! :)
All the best for the next few weeks, I know you can do it...and YAY for the all clear xx
BLING! nothing else matters :-)
I think because you want to is the best reason ever. And bling is awesome. :) GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN! :)
We're allowed to go shopping in the big smoke without a race entry form? I thought they checked that with our passport.
(I will now sigh because clothes are specialty stores for me again, and shoes are a dream.)
See you there!
EMma
Post a Comment