Monday, May 31, 2010

I Cracked (with extra added WTMI)

I cracked like a walnut at the 27km mark of my run. I could not keep going. That's never happened to me before. I felt almost bewildered at how much it was hurting to keep moving, how much nothing helped, none of the mind games, nothing. I don't know why it was a painful come on you can keep going slog from beginning to end - the late start? wrong breakfast? too much giggling at Eurovision last night? still getting over my post-antibiotics yeast infection? I warned you about the WTMI . It was when the nice man on the bike asked me if I was ok because I was lying on the wet grass in the drizzle (almost asleep, as it happened) that I realised the answer to 'how much can I take?' was 'no more'.
So I walked to Mum's and begged a lift home to get warm and try to dry out my phone. A particularly heavy downpour soaked it right through my fuel belt pocket. I think it's dead :(
I had a longer ice bath than usual because my quad cramped and I couldn't get out! I really did have to laugh at that. I don't know what I'll do if race day turns out like this. I have 2 more long runs scheduled; cross your fingers for me, eh?

11 comments:

Bella said...

Hope you're back on the road again (minus the crack ;P) soon.

Maybe Eurovision Karma?

Unknown said...

We all have runs like that! Well, maybe not *exactly* like that, but very similar. All you can do is shrug your shoulders, say 'oh well,' and move on.

You seem rather adept at moving on!

On the bright side, though, this run will give you a story to tell time-and-again over the years. If it had gone well you'd have forgotten it by next week!

Cheers, Paul :-)

Unknown said...

It happens.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again next time.

Anonymous said...

It happens sometimes. Who knows why - Mercury is in retrograde or it's a full moon. Nice to have your mum handy though :)

Mary Sunshine said...

The body does wierd things sometimes. It makes us respect the distance, which, in your case, was quite long.

My non-expert diagnosis is that you went into glycogen debt...and once you reach this point...it's pretty hard to get out of it. How did you feel after some food and some sleep?

Sue said...

Great mental image of you all blue and shivering and unable to get out of the bath!

Inca Maia said...

Glad to hear that man didn't just pass and go on his way and that you were in walking distance to your mum's.

Fingers crossed for you. :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck for the next two runs. You can do it.

We have all had runs like that. It's a bugger, and it's horrible.

(And if it happens on race day? The pub is at 27km - and 3km. I'll come and buy you a glass of something fizzy.)

Emma

Wes said...

27 km is nuthin to sneeze at! You can do this!!

Note to self: put cell phone in plastic baggy when carrying outside for exercise...

Duane said...

You will do it! Go!

MorseyRuns said...

I think the sleeping on the wet grass might be a bit of a giveaway- you were exhausted mate!
Hope you get your energy back soon!
Put your phone in a plastic container with the little silica gel sachets that come with your sneakers and hope it absorbs all the water.