Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It's all coming back to me now

so I put together 24 slooooow km on Saturday morning. It took a loooooong time and it was haaaaard..but I'm finding that all those slogfests for VSM 09 have had some lasting benefits. I know stuff now.
If you just keep going, things pass. The headache, the stupid-orthotic-won't-stay-in-the-right-place, the urgent desire to ring home and get a lift..they pass...or you get used to them and stop noticing. Same thing really
Pain is just pain. It's not good or bad or a reason to stop and sit down on any of the seven Benches O'Temptation along the rail trail.
My overtired inner crybaby cannot be soothed or bullied. She can be told whether you walk or run, we are going all the way home on foot in a kind, calm way.
I'm still a bit scared of unattended goats, even when they're tied up.
Noticing a cow's leg (!!!) behind a bush when you're 3km from the nearest proper road is a bit creepy.
I need new orthotics.
Being able to run for three hours when I have a sinus infection bad enough to need antibiotics which I now have, so now I can get better, yay! is strangely encouraging.
It's a bit sick to look forward to my post-run ice-bath as intensely as I do.

More anon,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I put a nice soothing massage oil in my ice baths. It's R.'s invention.

Emma

Inca Maia said...

Love your message here, about being kind to oneself. And calm when telling her/yourself just what it is that is going to be done because, yes, if you keep on going, things just pass.

Hope you get better super soon. :)

Wes said...

You're not doing an Ironman are you? This is good stuff :-)

Tea said...

I knew SLOG was a word! And now I can use YOU as my source!

Feel better soon. :)

Sue said...

It does sound rather like a nun thing, the ice bath!

Brendan said...

Ice bath? Don't you just dive into the river? It is so close to home.