Saturday, May 22, 2010

Fascinating

There are six weeks until VSM (Very Slow Marathon) #2 so it'll be all marathon all the time here from now on. That's a - I'd say paraphrase, but it's blatant plagiarism of the mighty Emma , whose medal, pictured here, I covet. It's the big one.When I say covet, I don't mean I'll be nipping across the border to her rural fastness and nicking that specific object. I want one of my own. When you think this out clearly, THIS IS INSANE. I'm doing this race in six weeks aaarrgghh and I WILL PROBABLY DIE. I'm willing to run for more than six hours - not counting the 6-8+ hours/week I spend on the road making sure I don't actually die on race day - just for an awesome bit of tinware such as that sported by my lovely teammate in Stupid Determination. Well let me tell you, my five faithful readers, IT WILL BE WORTH IT. Next time I complain, please remind me I said that.
I had a top run this morning. Unlike last week, I was not only not as crook as a dog, but well on my way by 7am. It was absolutely freezing - 2.5 degrees! - but a gorgeous, still morning with drifts of mist across the paddocks making the cows, trees and haybales etc even more picturesque. Given that Thinking Ahead is the LBTEPA way, I wore my shorts so that I could pop on my compression tights afterward as an experiment for better recovery (I told you VSM training is fascinating).
So. Shorts. 2.5 degrees. OMFG my legs were cold. I carried a water bottle to the start of the rail trail so I could refill on the way back (see? hydration strategy! Fascinating!) , but that meant I could only keep one hand at a time tucked in my jacket sleeve. Brrrr! Untucking them both worked for me a bit later when I slipped on some frost and went down on the asphalt ow ow ow! I gouged a bit out of my hand - it was that or my face, and I was able to continue with a tissue pressed on my palm to stem the gore, whereas a head injury would have meant abandoning the run (see? Stupid Determination! Fascinating!).
Other highlights: being nearly run over twice by a one-legged man on a recumbent bicycle. I am not making this up. On the return encounter, he called out are you in training for a marathon? I answered yes! That is such a cool thing to be able to say! I also avoided a tiger slug a full handspan long. The other cool thing was thinking of a new use for my obsessive watch-checking: each time I checked my watch (to see if it was time for a walk break. I do 4:1 run:walk for anything over 21km. See? The Galloway method! Fascinating!) I checked my form. Good balance? Light footfall? Energy from core muscles not shoulders or legs? As I got tired, I checked my watch more and more often so this worked very well.
My post-run ice-bath was...errrr.....character-building.
27km in the marathon bank is A Good Thing. It'll be a long slow one on July 4th, but I'm getting closer to believing I'll finish.More anon, daydream believers!

7 comments:

MorseyRuns said...

I love that the one legged cycling man knew that only a marathon runner would be would be out on a 2.5 degree morning in shorts- everyone else would have chucked it in and stayed in bed! I ran in tights this morning and wished they went further than my knees.
Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Mate, do you not have a fuel belt? Holding things while you run is horrid. I live in a house with two runners and three fuel belts.

The third is clearly spare. (It's too tight to be comfy on me for runs of more than 15km.) On you, it will be fine.

Remind me of your address, and you shall have a fuel belt, if you want one.

Emma

Anonymous said...

Is it hard doing the 4:1 runs? I'd be constantly looking at my watch (well ipod since I don't have a watch) and would end up falling over.

Mary Sunshine said...

4:1's totally rock!

I think you are doing great!!! And I don't think this marathon is insane at all (ah, but consider the source.) ;-)

Bella said...

One word... legend- (wait for it) ...ary

IT WILL BE WORTH IT! :)

Sue said...

Just googled tiger slug. Gross.

Wes said...

Fascinating! You planned. You overcame obstacles. You avoided dangerous wild life, all in the name of tinware! I LOVE IT!!!! :-)

p.s. You are up to seven faithful readers now. You're welcome.