Saturday, May 08, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

Last night Mum and I trained it 4 hours to the big smoke to be part of the Field of Women, an event supporting the 14,000 Australian women and 500 men who are diagnosed with breast cancer each year. Fourteen thousand. It's hard to comprehend. There are only 12,000 people in my town. Standing on the MCG last night, we were in a sea of pink. The MC asked people to raise their hands if they were breast cancer survivors. So many, many women raised their hands. It was terrible and humbling to see.
I know so many wonderful mums. My sister, my sister in law, of course my own Mum. My late Grandma. Vicki. Erin. Joan. Bev. Misty. Mary. Nancy. Becky. Lisa. Mrs Wombat. Annaleigh. Sue. DeeDee. Jeanne. Linda. So many others. If you're a Mum, you probably don't think you're wonderful. YOU ARE.
It's Mother's day tomorrow. Mum and I will be running together because that's how we celebrate, rat b******* cold or no rat b******* cold. That's what drugs are for.
Make sure you celebrate your Mum, and/or the person who loved you and taught you to be great. If you're a Mum, celebrate your own self. It's a tough gig and you're doing a great job.

6 comments:

Cinders said...

The sea of pink looked fantastic. I think you're a pretty inspirational and amazing mum to Noddie too. She is a very lucky girl to have such a positive role model. Have a great date tomorrow x

SWTrigal said...

That is awesome!! And so are you and your mum...I love the pink raincoats. Why am I not surprised it is raining in the MCG? :)

Unknown said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate. :-)

Tea said...

Incredible pictures! I've done Race for a Cure for many years, but I can't imagine all those women together in one spot and the same time. It must have been amazing.

Wes said...

Happy late Mother's Day to you and your mom... Nicely done, again :-)

Sue said...

Gosh, I can't quite imagine running as a way to celebrate something! Each to their own..