Friday, June 08, 2007

Reminders

A couple of things: thanks so much for all your dietary advice. I have embraced it wholeheartedly and feel much better now. Dan Murphy's also thanks you.
I am not allowed to ride my bike at all even with non-clip pedals because of the twisting out and the taking my full weight on my foot when I stop. Once I have finished this latest round of antibiotics, (and depending what the surgeon says next week, sigh ) I can get back on my exercise bike and in the pool. Oh, how I am looking forward to that....

As I float, determinedly zen-like, atop the seething sea of frustration that is my bacteria-infested, unstable-jointed, six-weeks'-wait-for-ethics-approval (W.T.F?) existence, I thought I would share some of the things I keep around me to remind me what's important. These are in a row on my study wall.

My Mum gave me this poster when I was in about year 10. It says "Rise above the ordinary". It's a bit tattered from being carted around and stuck up with pins and blu-tac all these years, but it reminds me that I can live by my ideals and follow my dreams.

This photo is of Chris Grant, former captain and game record-holder of my beloved Bulldogs. The wording is "Loyalty- we make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give".

Isn't this brilliant? It's a replica of posters displayed in London during the Blitz. I saw it on the beautiful DG's blog and had to have one. It makes me laugh and reminds me to cheer the heck up!

I also have this on my fridge, but that's neither here nor there.

What inspirational things do you keep around you?

11 comments:

jeanne said...

I have YOU around me, silly!

Simlin said...

I sit in my office staring at the sponsorship sheet I have blue-tacked to the wall with all these people from works sponsorship amounts. Now if I don't finish the marathon everyone will know!

Wes said...

I wear my grandfather's ring. I have a Road ID with the motto, "I am Iron". and then, much like jeanne, I am part of the most inspirational group of athletes I've ever had the luck to hide amongst :-)

Celeste said...

I use my blog for inspiration - and other people's blogs!!!

I have several photos of my hubby at work, and I realise it must sound corny, but he is a big part of my inspiration - even though he doesn't understand why I want to run, he still supports me in his own way.

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

I made a sign that I can see when I look away from the computer when I'm sitting at my desk.

It says "the only difference between a dream and a goal is a deadline" and I added a picture of the starting line of the Chicago Marathon.

Surrounding this sign (because I'm great at starting projects like framing quotes but never finishing them) are a gazillion post-it notes with my favorite quotes.

Among them:
- Be the change you want to see in the world. (Ghandi)
- Discipline yourself and others won't need to. (John Wooden)
- Feel the fear and do it anyway. (Tamara Mellon)

Jenny said...

Here's one I've always liked: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

KLN said...

Persistence, not perfection!

So sorry about the ligament. How about a nice new hybrid bike with toe clips, no clipless, so you can at least get outside and ride. Or change the pedals on your road bike for a bit, so you don't have to clip in?

Anonymous said...

i like the saying under the word "loyalty" but i don't think it really defines it. that's what i find confusing about those posters.

so... on the topic of les chiens de bull, are you happy or bummed about jason ackermanis?

Unknown said...

I wear a cross on a small gold chain 24x7. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Kathy said...

I have a personal mantra: I am a fit and active person who makes healthy lifestyle choices.

Duane said...

Blogs inspire me, the people that is. (That includes you!)