Thursday, April 12, 2007

the horror, the horror

Let it be stated at the outset that I have nothing but admiration for those plucky souls who are publicly taking charge of their own health on The Bigge$t Lo$er. Nor would I presume to criticise those people who find the program inspiring - everyone is entitled to her own opinion, and yes, sometimes something is edited in that is quite moving. The show repels me on the grounds that it seems to me superficial, voyeuristic, emotionally manipulative, discouraging and occasionally dangerous in its advice. Not to mention that "...we'll find out after the break..." shite....aarrgh...come orrrn AJ, you're a legend, why are you doing this?
So imagine my dismay when, after eight years of blissful cohabitation, I found that my dear Spousal Unit - friend of my bosom* and helpmeet in life's vicissitudes - had turned to the dark side. He cannot miss his daily B L fix. I could not be more appalled if he'd taken up smoking, started voting for Our Glorious Leader or ditched his beloved Pies for the northern code. What to do? What to do? Luckily a) that show is on at Noddie's story time so I have a legitimate excuse for leaving the room, and b) it can't be on for much longer, surely....
but then , J has gone back to the gym this week for the first time in four years. So what do I know?
In ORN (Obligatory Running News - all the coolest blogs have it, just ask Wes) ...errr... there isn't any. The floppiness of my rainbow-hued ankle has concerned my physio to the extent that he is treating it like a grade 2 sprain.That's me on the exercise bike for the next two weeks at least. No permanent damage, though. No worries. Nothing worth getting upset over, no?
Upset, no, appreciative of quantities of champagne, yes....

I am lying. I'm a bit upset. My heart has cracked a little bit, the way it does when the universe gives you ar wee reminder of its haphazardness. But not to worry. As Noddie would say, these things happen.

LBTEPA'S ATTITUDE FOR APRIL = cheerful and stoic.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More anon, hippety-hoppers!

*He just read this over my shoulder and said, "I'll say, rwowr!" Pervert.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It could be worse. You could have no feet at all - then you'd have to give up running and exercise bike and stripey socks! That'd totally suck.

Wes said...

My goodness! I've just been suspectly included in the coolest blogs category!! Woo hoo! :-) Now, to keep it real, I just spent a couple of minutes trying to translate all that stuff you were talking about! LOL. I learned that the Pies and northern code are Aussie football teams, The Biggest Loser is on in Australia, and my fav down under gal is still dealing with a bad ankle and pics out the loveliest socks! Oh, the humanity! Keep after it LBTEPA. You'll be back. You ROCK. I know this.

Sue said...

Not a BL fan here - but then I don't like any so-called reality TV.
The socks, on the other hand, they rock!

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Cheerful and stoic. I like that. That's what I need to be right now.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen stripey toe socks like that since my (misbegotten) youth! Ah, the memories!

Hope yr ankle is back up to code soon.

From another Biggest Loser voyeur

ali4579@gmail.com said...

*shudder* socks like that really freak me out. How anybody can willingly put things between their toes is beyond me.

Hope the ankle mends quickly!

Lily T said...

I feel mix about BL. I like how we get to see these people transform as they lose the weight, but I also think that the advice they give can be dangerous. Also I never caught on to it having only watched it twice since its existence. Also, having only watched two episodes, I don’t think I have the right to form any opinion at all.

Celeste said...

The thing about injury is you need to get it better before you go and do something else. I have learnt the hard way that your body knows best - ALWAYS. If your body says "rest" then you rest. If it says "I hurt" then you rest. If it says "I'm tired" then you rest. Your body will tell you when you can go out and do silly running-type exercises. My damn determination has ended up being my biggest set back. Thinking that my brain knew best, I pushed on. And now just look where I am. No running, not even WALKING.

Make sure you are fully well, and then take it easy to get back into it.

Might have to get myself a pair of those AWESOME socks!

Cinders said...

At least your toes look happy!