Friday, June 03, 2011

Here's to the future

For once, the fascinating daily minutiae at Casa del LBTEPA is not about DRAMAS or PRESSURE or just-managing-to-pull-off-the-almost-impossible-at-the-last-minute. I've got some work to do on my last stats assignment, I'm a bit behind with my case notes and there are two long runs to be got through before VSM#4 ohsitohshitohshitwe'reallgoingtodie. But at this stage it appears that if I keep plugging along and avoid anyone who might harbour a lurgi there will be time for it all. It's a nice change from frantically squeezing it all in around my primary duties of spousing, mumming*, working etc etc.
In other news:
The Spousal Unit did one of those workplace health checks, and his results were Not All They Should Be. His waist-to-hip ratio, blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure only just squeaked in under the Get Thee to a Quack Forthwith range. I am quite pleased by this, in a way. Unlike my good self, most of my family and the majority of my friends, the Spousal Unit does not actively manage his health, diet, exercise etc. He has always had active jobs and relied on that to keep him in good nick. He doesn't like being careful about food - does anyone? I don't, but it's one of the things I'm prepared to suck up on my way to being a mad old lady who does crazy energetic things. This is a major long-term goal of the LBTEPA Corporation, and what's more I don't intend to do it alone.
But I digress. I was quite pleased by J's Slightly Alarming health results because finally, finally, instead of chirruping you need to look after your health over and over like a demented parrot, I can say you need to look after your health BECAUSE....and wave the results sheet in his face . Oh frabjous day!!
Working out the right exercise for the Spousal Unit was a bit of a puzzle. J walks all day at work, on concrete, so he wants to sit down afterwards, which is fair enough. He is a homebody who works stupid hours so he doesn't really want to go to the pool or the gym either. He loves watching tv as well. Clearly an exercise bike was the answer! Sitting down + tv + regular cardio = happy J and happy LBTEPA.
JFDI is the LBTEPA Way, as my five faithful readers know, so we went out last Friday and bought him a bike. It was really funny. We tried all the equipment in the shop and took so long about it that when J remarked that we didn't need to actually buy anything, we could just pop in there every lunchtime for a workout, I think the young sales person thought he meant it! We spent a bit on the thing but I justified it as about the cost of a couple of specialist visits in a few years if he doesn't do anything now. It has beepy buttons and readouts and a heart-rate thingy and a comfy seat and weighs a ton (but is on wheels) and I had to completely reorganise my study to fit it in but I was going to do that anyway so it's all good.
J loves it. He does his workouts every day and writes them all down and seems to be sleeping better and feeling more cheerful. I may be imagining these things as it's only been a week. I'm very happy anyway.More anon, long-range forecasters!
*I actually meant parenting, although I'm not averse to a bit of medieval seasonal play-acting should the opportunity arise

2 comments:

Unknown said...

exercise makes everyone sleep better and be more cheerful. I'm sure you aren't just imagining it. :-)

Wes said...

Get Thee to a Quack Forthwith

I hate that kind of feed back :-O

oooh, new toys! I need me a new toy.... have fun!