~In which LBTEPA learns that some people will never get it~
The other day at church, someone I know asked me how the marathon training was going. I mentioned the Great Niggly Hip Freakout and she replied, oh, any excuse to get out of running.
*insert gobsmacked silence*
In other, less bewildering news, there are less than two weeks to go until Very Slow Marathon #4. Flights, hotel and car are booked and paid for. The pre- and post-race dos are organised. The new shoes are being run in. That familiar, distracting, slightly sick feeling at the thought of spending the better part of a working day sweating for a(n admittedly awesome) bit of bling is back; LBTEPA's nearest and dearest are being kind, which is good.
The obligatory taper headcold is also having a red-hot go at settling in but I am fighting back with sleep, veggies, vitamin C, panadol, and the Best Sinuses Money Can Buy. If all else fails, my doctor now has a letter from my surgeon along the lines of give her the damn antibiotics you idiot.
Panic-merchant LBTEPA is of course Freaking Out (it is taper time, after all) about not getting all the runs done but Zen LBTEPA is consoling her with the thoughts that a) all the Long Runs got done Woot! Woot! Yay!!! and b) this winter has not been marred by never-ending Bastard Sinus and Chest Infections - training has, in fact, been quite consistent overall.
My weight is giving me the irrits. Despite actually concentrating on what I'm eating and drinking far more than interests me, it's more erratic than would even be explained by Female Stuff. Given that I am getting on a bit I think I might go and have all those annoying Female Stuff-type checks when we get home, as well as the Bastard Thyroid too It'll turn on you as soon as look at you, that one.
I've been giving a lot of thought to The Playlist (see "distracted", above). I make a new one for each marathon - doesn't that sound grand? I still find it hard to get my head around the fact that I've done three already! - for exactly the cutoff time. Six and a half hours of No Worries Darl, Just Keep Going and You'll Get There. The following faves list provides (a possibly disturbing) insight into LBTEPA's Happy Little World of Running.*
Deborah Conway - It's only the beginning
Marcia Hines - I've got the music in me
Paris Wells - Let's get it started
Grease soundtrack - Greased lightning (describes me so accurately ROFL)
Theory of a deadman - I hate my life
Joey Scarborough - Believe it or not
Big Bad Voodoo Daddys - I wanna be like you
Janis Joplin - Take another piece of my heart
Skyhooks - Livin' in the 70's
Barney Stinson - The awesome song
Harry Secombe - Battle hymn of the republic
Flogging Molly - Worst day since yesterday
De-lovely soundtrack - Blow Gabriel blow, and of course
Anastasia - Paid my dues
That's probably enough for now, even for my five faithful readers, bless your tolerant hearts. What are your 100% reliable, solid gold firing-up tunes?
More anon, boogie-meisters!
*They're all on Yotu&e but I'm too lazy to link them, sorry.
10 comments:
I could NOT have Greased lightning on my running playlist. I'd start doing all the finger pointing moves and end up being very mock-worthy!
Get your hands on the newly released CD 'Big Hair Rox'. It should be called 'Daggy classics of the 80's' but anyone who owned a walkman will love this CD....
ox
"oh, any excuse to get out of running." Some people have NFI, and treat you with suspicion when you tell them you actually like running!
Spectre.
When I had my torn quad diagnosed, and couldn't run for 6 weeks, I cried. I understand. Running is important.
I don't run with music, but I sing to myself. Might I suggest: billy joel's Pressure, Angry young man, and go to extremes.
Paul Kelly: Dumb Things.
Seanan Mcguire ; wicked girls
(I recently got through a 8 miler in the rain by singing this out loud for most of it. 'It's better to fly and it's better to die, say the wicked girls saving ourselves.")
Emma
"Any excuse to get out of running"...yes, because THEY would look for any excuse to get out of running!
Pfft!
My favourite tracks:
Don't Stop Me Now by Queen
Bohemian Like You by the Dandy Warhols
Lola's Theme by Shapeshifters
F**k You by Cee Lo Green (not Forget You! The original packs a much stronger punch)
Toss the Feathers by The Corrs
Rockstar by N.E.R.D
I thoroughly recommend 101 Running Songs on iTunes if you want some new music, it's a great compilation - and 4 of the songs I mentioned above are on it, and heaps of others!
I love that you have Deborah Conway on your playlist. One of my favourite walking (aka strutting) songs is Man Overboard, an old Do Re Mi classic, such a fantastic song.
All the best with the final countdown :)
Taper time!
Somehow your play list makes me laugh, with titles like "I hate my life" and "Worst Day since Yesterday" - foreshadowing the pain at miles 18+?
Perhaps you should add some 'happier' music to get you through the marathon?
oh, we enjoy your taper far more than you do :-)
three marathons??! You're a machine! You must understand that people are idiots. Of course, had she said it to me, it would have been true. But still, she has some nerve! (I love that it was at church, too. Nice touch!)
Dude you have most excellent taste in tunes :) Hope the cold is fecking right off! xxox
(I love Smack My Bitch Up by The Prodigy... amazing beat, unfortunate title! :)
Lookin' at that playlist. 14 songs, about 4.5mins each. You are going to run FAST this time!!!!!
Post a Comment