I find it very interesting and I think about it a lot. At this stage in a marathon "campaign", if you will pardon the conceit, I think about it to the exclusion of almost all else. Four weeks to go means it is almost the end of the "build" - there is only one long run left. I can see the taper, ah, the blessed blessed taper, from here. Mind you when I get into the taper I usually hate it because I get very worried and irritable and very hungry. I've worked quite hard this winter to shed a bit of lard so I can start this marathon at close to the same weight I was last year.
A digression: this whole weight loss thingy is is a constant philosophical conundrum for me. I believe that weight does not equal attractiveness, character or worth. I am a constant (and strident, ask anyone) advocate for health measures based on actual health (eg blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, resting heart rate) rather than a lazy-arsed bullshit extrapolation - I'm talking to YOU, BMI - based on specious correlations and society's desire for an outgroup that it is politically correct to vilify. GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (see "strident", above).
But then again, go and pick up something that weighs 4.5kg, the amount of weight I gained after my sinus operation last summer. Then think about carrying it 42.2km when if you cut out a few unnecessary and relatively unnoticeable kilojoules - I'm talking to YOU, extra helpings and too much wine - you wouldn't have to. I worry about being hypocritical, but my feet are thanking me after my long runs.
Segueing neatly back to running did you see that?, I've been reading the Best Book Ever
I'm aware that it's been criticised as only suitable for dilettante non-respecters of the distance and that no Proper Runner would dream of toeing the line with fewer than eight days or 1000km/week under his or her belt. The program is specifically for first-timers and there's heaps of info about stretching (I did read about that somewhere before I think, I forget), nutrition, injury prevention etc etc. They're mad for mantras and I have been trying some out. These days keen observers on the rail trail might hear amongst the rushing river and birdsong a puffed and panted I run tall (reminding me to lengthen my spine and not slump forward), I run loose (reminding me to drop my shoulders and use my core), I run strong, I run straight. The last one is because if I don't pay attention my feet swing in arcs like an ice skater instead of a nice efficient straight line. I had a lightbulb moment about this the other week. When one is blessed with substantial knee and thigh acreage such as that which I possess, and you want your feet to go in a straight line, your knees must touch while you run! *slaps forehead* Well dip me in axle grease and call me slick, eh?The main theme of the book is that the only way to fail-proof your first marathon - and who wants to fail after you've covered 42.2km? - is to not have a time goal. I like this. The assumption, though, is that if you've hung one piece of marathon bling around your neck and get all fired up for more, you'll want to go faster.
I've been thinking about this, and have come to the conclusion that I don't want to do it that way. It suits me much better to approach every marathon as though it's my first. In a way, each one is, because I've had massively different stuff going on for each one. Time goals (apart from make the cutoff) don't fit in with my other marathon goal, don't spend four months (plus race day) freaking out. Taper insanity is excluded from this of course. I went there a bit early this time - yesterday I completely changed my nutrition and hydration strategy (it worked beautifully btw). I know! Madness! And I'll be breaking in some new shoes this week too!
More anon, daredevils!
4 comments:
Nice work Ali, I think many runners analyze every running related facet of their lives. Look forward to hearing about the last long run and reading about the taper frustrations :)
Wobbly
What's your new nutrition plan? Mine does not work for me.
Works fine in training, but has not worked three marathons in a row. It seems I cannot chew on a marathon.
Time goals are so not part of my world. I want to be delighted that I managed to finish, not upset I didn't do it to a time.
EMma
Ya know, I'm a firm believer in doing what you have to do, and allowing your body to do what its gonna do. It only seems fair.
I love the book. I love the outlook too. Goals don't all have to be time oriented. What matters is that you are getting what you want out of the time you spend.
When I train for my marathon PR this fall, I want you to hold my hand. k?
I love this! It's like you have some freaky access to my brain.
whenever I am at the start of a race, I start singing "Feels like the First time". I know. Horribly cheesie and perfectly accurate.
Be assured, I will be singing it once again at Boulder.
Post a Comment