Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Shep Half details - for Jeanne

Following repeated requests from the lovely Jeanne here are the details of my recent half marathon in Shepparton. First the km splits and what I tried to learn.
6.37
7.02
6.46
6.55 *I went out too fast but was trying to monitor my heart rate and not get too puffed. Something to practice.
7.22
7.14
7.28
7.19
7.16
7.16
7.16
7.07
7.17
7.15*pretty pleased with the evenness of these last few. Oh yes, it was all on purpose!!!
7.49*gave myself a severe talking to as the inclination to stop was strong at this point
7.09
7.19
7.11
7.33
7.19
6.57 *very very pleased I had something left in the tank for the last 1.1km.
That's when the grin hit my face that stayed there for about 3 days. I don't race often so I hardly ever have proof that all those drag-your-arse-around-the-block kms actually do something - but they clearly do!!
This run was all about practicing not giving up, not hating it when it got hard and working my watch properly - please don't add up the numbers, as I pressed the split buttons a few extra times so I've rounded some of them together to make 21 laps instead of 24!! The drink carrier was brilliant and I really felt the powerade working.
The course was charming, although a bit loopy - a long (14km) figure 8 and then a short(7km)one, all along the riverbank with the wattle just coming out. Beautiful. Flat too.
On the way home we stopped at a huge adventure playground (Kidsworld) so Noddie could climb and slide and ride on trains, closely supervised by the Spousal Unit of course, not that he's a doting Daddy, no no no no nooooooooo. So everyone was happy.
Seeing as what happens on holidays stays on holidays, we won't mention Noddie waking up every 2 hours - I kid you not - as she was disturbed by the unfamiliar surroundings of the cabin where we stayed. By 4am Mummy was less than sympathetic. Livid sums it up much more accurately. With any luck at all I'll have a much better rest for the Melbourne Half on Oct 8th. Maybe it will make up for all the training I haven't been doing and the weight I haven't been losing? Let's not go there tonight.
Tomorrow and the next day I have a placement for uni with an educational psychologist. Saturday J works, and on Sunday I am breaking the habits of a decade and going to the footy to see my beloved team play in the elimination final. I'm sick with anxiety already. More anon, dudes!

6 comments:

jeanne said...

Ha, that is so funny about the extra laps! I do that all the time, too. Strange. What's really fun is that those times look fantastic, bcs of course i'm thinking they are per mile, so in my world you are REALLY ROCKIN'!!!

Great job--you give me hope! (The wake-up-every-two-hours thing--um, not so good.)

Simlin said...

Those splits look good...I generally have one of those "severe talking to" moments about 3/4 the way through a race, no matter what distance.

Cinders said...

I hope you'll be barracking for the Pies.... I'll be there too - can't wait.

Anonymous said...

Hey the
re!
Good to hear you sounding better - you beat the cold, i'm guessing?

Next time you'll just have to make Noddie run, run, run to tucker her out good and proper so she sleeps thru! The best sleep I get has been when Lukey walks with me.

Which footy: AFL or ARL?

Hayley

PS - chk yr link to jeanne's blog it's not working

Anonymous said...

PS - I don't have an exercise bike, but do have an aerofit (a low impact walking machine). I used it when I lost 30kgs in 1999, but haven't kept it up - obviously.

Hayley

Spark Driver said...

That is good stuff. Hopefully with a good nights sleep in your own bed you will blitz the Melbourne Half.