Sunday, December 02, 2012

Simple, not easy

It's simple. In order to be an athlete one must
- exercise regularly
- pretty much organise one's life around exercising and good health
....sounds pretty simple
and it is
but not easy.
The Streak has been great - 12 days, 9 days, looking good for the win not that I'm competitive hahaha  - because I'm remembering how much I miss working out and feeling fit, but it's still a bit of an afterthought.
Things do get in the way. 
- the bike is still put away in the shed from the holidays
- The Spousal Unit's shifts are, as always, all over the place
-  this week we have at least one thing, sometimes two, on every single day, from school concert rehearsal and performance via dance concert photoshoot (rolling eyes), stop-start, dress rehearsal, matinee and evening performance all the way to the Sunday School concert, with a couple of work things in between. Cross your fingers for us that the weather's not too hot.
- December the first = Christmas tree day! With bonus nativity setup, carols-on-shuffle and domicile be-tinselling! Must fit in some senselessly time-consuming Christmas letter action as well... and present-wrapping! what, you haven't finished your shopping yet?owowowstophittingme.
- housewifey sh**, you know, minimal hygiene, food, clean clothes etc etc
- oh, and work
- J's been quite down. It's important that I spend time with him. Noddie also is requiring extra patience and concentration. We've had to move on to some pretty serious treatment for her psoriasis and it's knocking her around a bit, poor little lambie.
- the mangled ankle hates sand. It's still sore from the holiday. Walking is good but I do so miss running.
- sometimes I get really down about being injured and lardy and mojo-free. I took my marathon medals off the wall the other day. Noddie asked where they were and I realised I was being a bloody sook so I put them back up. I hate the thought of another steroid injection, onto the bone ew ew ew and what if that doesn't work? ohdearohdearohdear but it has to be done
- AND I HATE THE MORNING SHOW ON TV AT THE GYM and I hate wearing headphones
Jumping these little 'hurdles' used to be automatic. Now sometimes it takes me a couple of days to even notice them! Dealing with them has changed from 'part of exercising' to 'another job I have to do before I can work out'.
Well, my friends, as of today it's changing back.
I've written A List. Lists Are Good
- get the **** bike out of the shed!
- check J's roster. If he's not on an early shift then work out in the morning. Life has a tiresome habit of eating the evenings. We know this.
- don't eat anything between 5-6pm. Arsenic hour, that sad, tired, hold-your-temper-for-dear-life breathe-in-breathe-out what-needs-to-be-done-what's-for-tea-Mum???? time, is when the majority of the mindless scoff-fests which have created such irritating wardrobe limitations tend to occur.
- suck it up that gym - mindless tv noise = headphones. Princess.
- vacuum the damn study and damn well get down on the floor and stretch.  It is the idea you fear, grasshopper, not the reality
- try and remember that I like swimming. I don't know why I always feel as though I don't and never want to go. It is the idea you fear, grasshopper, not the reality....(there is a brief scuffle/pause while ancient sage is dragged off). Yes, I think we got that.
Simple stuff. 
So, my five faithful readers, waddya reckon? Will this help? Am I kidding myself?
What are your practical tips and strategies for living an athletic life? Share! Share!
I'll let you know how all this goes. What I'm doing now isn't getting me what I want, and it might just work. You never know.

More anon, tinsel-towners!

7 comments:

starfish264 said...

I absolutely, categorically feel your pain on this. Somehow over the last year, I've totally lost my routine and I'm not quite sure where I put it now. And I keep telling myself that it's all fine, because I ran a half marathon (my first!) and a trail race with Royal Marine designed obstacle course, but the truth remains that in the same period I've also packed on a stone and stalled with injuries and been all round stroppy and entirely haphazard.

My recent solution has appeared in the form of a new gym with new classes - I've *had* to rethink my day-to-day life to make it work, but it's also given me the opportunity to try some new classes in including the dreaded Pilates that my physio told me to do aaaaaaages ago and I stubbornly ignored .... and oddly enough I now find I love it because I come out with my back feeling all lovely and stretchy and relaxed instead of sore and grumpy.

I don't think there is a magic remedy, I just think like everything else in life, when you start really wanting it again (which it sounds like you do) you just start making it a priority again instead of a chore. You're perseverance in the face of Really Crappy Injuries is, as always, inspiring though. Xx

Unknown said...

For me, absolutely the most important thing is to find something that I like to do. It's a bit of a quandary when the thing I like to do most is off the table. But at that point, it's even more important that I find something that I like to do. Not something I can tolerate, something that I actually like. For me, walking the dogs (or with a friend) is a decent second choice, whereas walking by myself isn't much fun. I don't like swimming. I dislike yoga and weight work at the gym. Anyway, I'm saying, it's easier to make time when it's something you want to do. So try different things and find something fun! Be creative and Good luck!!

Mark Matthews said...

I've been seeing holiday 'streakers' all over the place. I run only 4 days a week, sometimes less, so the streaking for me is just not gonna happen. I think a streak of maybe consecutive weeks over so many miles might work. spousal unit depending.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tea said...

Yes. Simplicity is best. Nov was insanely busy for me. I dropped everything and committed to doing 1 activity a day, even if it were short. I chose running because I had a half marathon several weeks out.

I had to set an alarm clock to beep at me to tell me to go run. How ridiculous is that? Now, if I just had someone to my running shoes on my feet, I'd be all set.