Friday, February 03, 2012

Come up to the lab, and see what's on the slab

While we were travelling I wrote some notes in the back of the Trip Diary what? you don't keep a Trip Diary? How else would I ever remember IDREAMOFJEANNIE lane in Cocoa Beach, or the letterboxes shaped like giant fish? about What I Will Do When I Get Home.
- muesli for breakfast
- core or strength workouts daily
- haven't got time to stretch, haven't got time to run
- walk/run or swim every day.
When I wrote them they were a wish list. A wow I wish I was the kind of person who could do that stuff thing. I don't mind admitting I went away feeling very down, very weak and a bit hopeless. Well no S#$& Sherlock, say my five faithful readers. I couldn't see myself as being an athlete, so the idea of doing stuff that athletes do was incomprehensible.
But over the month we were away I left that feeling behind somewhere - possibly in the Disney World gift shop with my cool sunnies. Darn it. I liked them.
By the time we left Kona - did I mention we stayed in KONA? On ALI'I DRIVE??? Squeee! - I was fired up again!
Kona is fabulous - it's an athlete's town, for sure, but a paradise for fanciers of coffee, icecream and beer as well. You should go there at once. Really.
Very good beer.
Kailua bay, full of clear warm water, coral, beautiful fish and hot blokes swimming really fast.
Now we're home, the feeling has lasted! I feel energised and optimistic. So far I've stuck to the WIWDWIGH list and I'm feeling good. I'm feeling stronger already, which is the best feeling in the world. While we were away Noddie decided she wants to be a vegetarian and I have been supporting her with that (although I eat fish); maybe that change is contributing to my happy mood? I don't know and I don't really care. I'm riding this wave while it lasts! I know this year will be busy what with finishing two placements and writing The Thesis aarrgghh but I have a feeling that it will bring lots of good things too.
I do have a Secret Crazy Goal as well (OF COURSE), but more on that later.What are YOU looking forward to this year?
More anon, lion dancers!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's hard for me to articulate what I'm looking forward to from a race perspective when my knee is still not quite back to "normal"

Oooooh, I've been to Kona. Didn't stay there, but spent several evenings there when we visited Big Island a few years ago.

Wes said...

I'm so jealous of your worldly travelling skillz! I too would be a world traveller, but I just don't like planes....

Anonymous said...

embracing myself, embracing the world and embracing a hot guy or five.
That's what I'm looking forward to this year.
cilla

Shauna said...

Finally catching up on all your epic adventures. KONA!!!! Dude :) This really looked like a trip of a lifetime. And very glad you got that tshirt for proof :)