BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Don't say it

This was originally a completely different post about how I don't wanna (engage in any disciplined, goal oriented behaviour, basically). Be grateful my trembling finger never connected with the 'publish' button - it was a sooky la-la whingefest to horrify even the most hardened of my five faithful readers. But not on the internet = never happened. Phew!
I recently read Marshall Ulrich's book Running On Empty, which I found much more interesting and moving than I expected. In it he tells the story of a gifted young Russian mountaineer who was cut from his nation's Everest Team for commenting, once, that his hands were cold. Later in the book Ulrich comes back to the story and makes the point that the way you get strong and attain your goals is by refusing to give attention to your own moods and complaints. Focussing on what's wrong uses energy that you need for other things. Just because it's true doesn't mean you have to say it. Can't do anything about it? Ignore it - becuase option b is giving up. Mind you he ignored injuries and pain to a level that is completely bonkers and also quite dangerous, but essentially I like his thinking. Mojo schmojo. Motivation? A luxury.
I want to be strong.
I want to have lots of energy.
I want to be able to run a long way.
I want to do more marathons and triathlons and be that person everyone at work thinks is a bit odd but who has happy animated conversations about running and triathlon with other odd people.
I know what to do to get what I want. I'm writing this sitting on the verandah looking at the rain pouring down so hard I can barely see across the road, but I do know what to do.
More anon, super-soppers!

3 much-appreciated comments:

Wes said...

some truths are better left unsaid, but cutting somebody from a team because they said something is stupid

Anonymous said...

I am with Marshall on that one- but thankfully my fellow trailwalkers and murray marathoners aren't because I like to sook my butt off when I am tired and sore- Vic would have kicked me out of the boat on day 1 if she had been so inclined! But I do like to train with people who don't complain and just push through the pain, only because it makes me pretend that I am as strong as they are! Hope you are getting better. Sara

Tea said...

Now interestingly, there was a pain study done. The study showed that people who cussed or muttered or complained while experiencing pain, were able to withstand more pain.

Commence complaining!