FURTHER WARNING: PHLEGM IS MENTIONED IN THIS POST
I was passing the time earlier this week coughing hoarsely, skulling paracetomol and worrying about exams and half marathons, as you do. All at once I said to myself, LBTEPA I said, what would the world be like if
- I got severe viral laryngitis too much fun, I can't even begin to describe it, and such a fun word to say, although I can't actually say it - oh the irony! NOT because I'm careless and lazy and drink too much, but because there are a lot of fearsome bugs going around our office and Noddie's school?
- and what if I was off colour for two weeks beforehand NOT because I'm always getting sick, but because I'm quite healthy and strong and it takes a really fearsome bug to topple me?
What would happen if I challenged this unhelpful and inaccurate belief that I get sick because I'm weak and incompetent? What if I understand that getting sick isn't my fault? What if I take the credit for my health-enhancing behaviours instead of blaming myself for not being bullet-proof?
Oooooh! Now there's a thought. Thanks, A.T.B. You're the best.
My five faithful readers will be happy to know that following this train of thought has resulted in my feeling better already, despite the fact that I'm wildly jealous of the Spousal Unit coughing up quantities of yellow (bacterial) gunk, not green (viral) like mine, so he gets antibiotics and I don't so I just have to suffer. DON'T SAY YOU WEREN'T WARNED.
Then I asked myself another question. I said to myself, LBTEPA I said, what do you need?
The answer popped into my head at once: I NEED A WIN.
But what is a win? What would a win look like?
A win would be making a plan, any plan, and sticking to it. That would be a win and that would make me feel happy.
Why would that make you happy?
I'd feel less at the mercy of hormones and genetics and viruses. I'd know for sure again that I can do things.
Aha! LBTEPA looks about, startled, as the booming voice of a famous mid-20th-century psychologist echoes through the room. What you want, LBTEPA, is self-efficacy!
Albert, my friend, you are right. I do. So I made a chart (insert short pause while my five faithful readers feign surprise) . If I drink 5 glasses of water, refrain from the 4pm-6pm scoff-fest and go alcohol free for five consecutive days then I get 15 little smiley stars, a big proud grin and some momentum to make other changes. Bring. It. On.
I have to go and have a sleep now before I pick up Noddie from school. She's been home with croup most of the week, poor little lambie. Stay tuned, though - the next post could well be about how rediscovering crochet changed my life.More anon, improvement-seekers!
8 comments:
Not good - hopefully you all get better soon. There's so much going around at the moment. Rest up and get those stars shining.
The textile arts are good for life changing :)
The bug is a horror. I'm on reduced training this week, which is making me very sad and stressed.
I hope you feel better soon.
Is your reward for getting fifteen stars being able to drink five glasses of plonk and a nice large bit of chocolate mud cake?
I think a short plan, say 3-5 seconds is more my style :-)
HAH, I'm the 5th faithful reader! Sounds like a plan to me. Good luck, and get better soon.
I am excess then - No 6 :-)
Things that make you go .... 'Hmmm'
I am glad for you that the charts are back because they seem to give you a purpose and help you focus ...
but a chart does not define you !!!
Hope you out and training soon - if that is your want
Take care
Eat Em
LOVE the star chart. Have to say, having worked to mine for the last few weeks, it works!!! I love getting stickers, and I hate having an empty spot where a sticker should have been. I say go for it - and avoid the phlegm... ;)
Are you feeling better now?
I hope so.
m
Post a Comment