I was sick. I ran sick. I got sick in Queensland. I got sick at my old job. I started my new, terrific, stressful job and got sick again. Noddie went to kinder and got sick and the Spousal Unit went to work and got sick and I got sick again.
I found out you can train like it was your job and run your heart out but sometimes it’s just not your day. I found out you can’t outrun or outride severe bronchitis. I found out (again) that some things cannot be toughed out. I found out I’ve been paying a lot of money to wear shoes made for lapsed-arched pronators when I’m a high-arched supinator. I found out that I had severely underestimated my quite astonishing capacity for self-pity and whining.
I didn’t do anything I wanted to. I didn’t run a full marathon or the Melbourne half. I didn't set a PB at the Gold Coast. I didn’t ride the Bay in a Day. I didn’t give up drinking. I didn’t lose lots of weight. I didn’t train consistently. I didn’t bravely rise above it all and set a good example to inspire others.
I whinged. I bitched. I grizzled and moaned and carried on and cried and wallowed. I got fed up. I threw my hands up. I arked up. I jacked up, I gave up. And then I got up.
I learned stuff this winter. I learned to run hard. I learned to suck it up and cheer for others doing what I wished I was doing. I learned about disappointment, and I learned about friendship.
I ran 6km non-stop today. I got an interview for the very competitive Masters in Clinical Psych that I really want to do next year. It's Noddie's birthday on Tuesday, and let me assure you that her Princess party will be spoken of with awe down the ages.
And you know what? Next weekend, I GET TO RACE.

I GET TO RACE.
More anon, blissful grinners
*The wonderful Lisa wrote a very thought-provoking post on this recently. Thgnks for the insight my friend
*The wonderful Lisa wrote a very thought-provoking post on this recently. Thgnks for the insight my friend
8 comments:
Best wishes on your race next weekend.
Why is it that you understood that part of my recent post *AND* were able to move forward with the concept and I am still stuck?!?!? NOT FAIR!! LOL
Happy racing next week - sometimes the setbacks remind us that it's not about getting a PB or anything else, just the joy of being out there doing it :D
Hope from now on the setbacks are behind you and you can start kicking some butt!
Happy birthday, Noddie!
Happy racing, Mom!
Happy racing! Anyone else would have given up by now, picked up their bat and ball and gone off to play hit and giggle tennis - you are bloody amazing my friend.
(I get hayfever too- and apparently taking 3 x 180mg telfast doesnt make them any more effective, it just makes you feel awful. The best part is when asthma joins the party!)
Oh yay, Oh yay for racing!
Sometimes it really just isn't our season - last winter for you. But that means we get a time when really IS our season...
There's a silver lining to almost EVERYTHING :-) I'm thinking about moving to Australia during the winter. You know... sose I can race :-D
i love you. you're the best.
(but not in that way.
ha.
Post a Comment