Sunday, October 13, 2013

Yay for everyone!

It's two years since my last race - Melbourne marathon day!  Yay to all my friends rebuilding their running lives! And yay to the bloke from our tri club who came 58th overall at Kona today! Yay!
J is in Melbourne with his Dad because his mum is in hospital there. It's all a bit of a worry. I'm here at home having spent a very unpleasant spell in front of the mirrors at the gym. Yeah yeah yeah the truth hurts etc etc. But I did surprise the hot young personal trainer with my rowing machine awesomeness, so that's something. He said we might need to count calories to get the results I want, and I said if that's what it took I'd change what I want. I keep a food diary and I'll adhere to the dietary guidelines he has given me, but my head is just about exploding with all the other **** going on in my life at the 'mo; putting a numeric value on my food is not only against my principles but Just Too F***ing Much right now. I feel so overwhelmed that if I didn't have to fold a cubic metre of washing, kid-wrangle and get the place sorted for the work week and (possibly; see 'sick m-i-l', above) a trip to Sydney next weekend, I'd crawl into bed and cry myself to sleep. Don't say ' so just don't fold it' - we were in such a hurry yesterday to get out the door to drive 2 hours to get J his gear so he could go to Melbourne with his parents that we just pulled the washing off the line and dumped it all on the bed.
*Update: I pushed it into baskets on the floor. It can wait.
But I digress.
My goals for the next few months
- do a chin-up
- the Big Bay Swim
- to not have to buy any more work pants in my current (bigger) size. I have a drawer full of hardly-worn dacks!
- get my shoulders flexible enough to join my hands behind my back better than this bloke can
How was your weekend of awesomeness, comrades?

3 comments:

Tea said...

I love the chin up goal. I keep wanting to do a pull up, but I don't seem to have the patience to get there.

Thank you for your blog and your honesty. No matter what you write, it always hits the spot for me.

Anonymous said...

I have never been able to do a chin up- I am ready to be over come with jealousy.
We have a spare room for the hiding of clean washing - and sometimes if Andy hides a basket load it can take me two weeks to work out why I can't find my FAVOURITE running top. I thoroughly recommend hiding washing.
In my weekend of awesomeness I did a lot of support crew work for Andy's training because I could sense a melt down coming on if he didn't get out there- yep, am still an enabler;)
Keep it up Al, and remember to breathe.

sara

Kek said...

I don't think you need to count calories - as long as you are employing other strategies to regulate your food intake. A food diary will definitely help make you more aware of what you're eating, so if that works for you, stick with it.

I always tell clients that they only need to count calories if NOT counting them proves unsuccessful. Personally, I don't mind doing it from time to time; even experienced, educated, nutritionally aware folks can be a bit delusional about how much we're eating. Speaking form personal experience here. ;)

Anyway, yay for awesome rowing skills and go you with the pull up goal!