Friday, October 05, 2012

Since last we spoke

Since last we spoke, dear readers, I have been Out For A Run four times. What? you gasp, Why weren't we told? Why were there no fanfares and fireworks?
Well the thing is this: there are two things actually, don't confuse me. Thing 1: by (ahem) 'Run' I mean walk 50 steps run 20 steps for not more than 15 minutes. Try that for a while, if you want to DO YOUR HEAD IN.
But LBTEPA, you soothe (aren't you nice?) you've had a long lay-off. You have to start small. Be patient. From little things big things grow etc etc etc.. And haven't you been outside? In the sunshine and the fresh air? How nice is that? This is true, my friends. You are right, as always (you're great!). Being outside is one big happy bundle of Hello There Good Things I've Missed You!
But onto Thing 2, as we must. My physio has laid it down that this slow cautious teeny tiny very patient and disciplined program is to See What Happens. It's been more than five months since the Great Prawn Disaster; if my ankle can't tolerate slow cautious teeny tiny etc etc (ahem) 'running' without pain, then it's off to the Specialists in the Big Smoke becuase she has got nuffin' left. Nuffin. It's not going well right now. My ankle is sore and niggly all the time. A tip for the more anxious among my five faithful readers: don't g00g1e 'persistent ankle pain post chip fracture'. Just don't.
But LBTEPA is doggedly remaining in the Too Early To Tell Zone. I can Not Know Yet and be ok with that. I have to. Worrying and worrying is doing my head in and there are loads of other things queueing to do that.
In other news, I have just made the final couple of weeks of the Thesis That Ate My Brain insanely more difficult. Through sheer stupidity. No one to blame but me. You see, I sent the first draft off to my supervisor and waited until yesterday (the agreed date) for her reply... which was, hi could you send me the first draft please as we have only 2 weeks until it's due
.
.
.
It was in the draft folder. I'd pressed save instead of send. Now I'll have six days instead of 13 to fix it and get it bound and sent off. Thinking about it makes me feel sick.
This morning blogger ate the hilarious and pithy post I was writing this morning as a treat insted of folding the washing and I bawled my eyes out.
I just want to cry and cry and eat and eat all the time but a) I have to go to work and b) I've already gained so much weight that it's interfering with my rehab (my physio said) and my pretty summer clothes don't fit and I don't need another dunk in the look-what-you've-done-you-have-no-self-control-you-loser barrel. Not today anyway.
It's hard to blog at the moment becuase the inside of my head is such a mess. Here's a photo of an elephant instead
More anon, glitterati!

4 comments:

Kek said...

Bleurgh. Planet injury/stress/self-inflicted weight gain is a very unpleasant place to be stranded on. Having just escaped from that very place (why did I not run into you there?), I sympathise entirely.

The good thing is that you're aware of exactly where you are and you're making an effort not to run screaming for the nearest comfort food. That kind of conscious thinking combined with your sensible baby steps approach to fitness will get you back on track. Eventually.

By the way, crying over lost blog posts is perfectly understandable. I once cried repulsive hot, snotty tears because the supermarket moved the mustard and I couldn't find it. True story. Stress will do that to you. As I said: Bleurgh.

Anonymous said...

I did the save rather than send with a uni email last semester (to organise online tutorials..) When did I figure it out? After I sent the rather snide course evaluation email.

Emma

Unknown said...

I'm already feeling sorry for my self because I think I'll be taking time off running for a few months this winter to get injections and when I return to running it's going to be a slow process. I understand how you feel. But, hey, four times running is four times running, no matter how maddening the 50/20 steps thing is.

:-)

Mary Sunshine said...

My darling one,

If I was truly worthy of all your have given ME in this life, I would have spoken up sooner.....

You need focus on the bike while you heal.

This is not easy. It's freakin painful to the lungs and the wobbly bits....but will help heal the other places to allow you to run unencumbered.


I may be wrong...but it's worth a shot, right?

If you want a training program, pls let me know. I know Paul could help.

love you lots,

Mary