Thursday, November 04, 2010

back to the surface

You know those action movies where the hero jumps off a boat or a wharf into deeeeeeeeeeeep water, usually in a hail of hot lead or massive fireball and you think Oh no! but then you think, he's the hero, this isn't a Cohen brothers movie is it? no, we'll be right then....s/he'll be ok.... and then there's a cutaway shot to the villain going bwahahaha! or the empty silent night sky.... and you think, is this one of those movies? oh I do hope not....and then - if you're watching it on tv - there's an ad break during which you maintain a faint sense of anxiety intermingled with confidence in your understanding of this genre ..... and then.....WHOOOSH!!! up from the dark dark scary water pops the hero, gasping and puffing and looking ever so relieved to be back in the lovely lovely real air and real life and if not quite safety at least not certain disaster....and of course the villain has got bored and wandered off to plot further nefariousness and doesn't notice this miraculous escape ... and serves him/her right I say, the bounder.
You know those movies?
I think I've been in one of those these last few weeks, without actually realising. Just this last few days, though, I feel as though I've made it back up through the murky water to the surface at last, back into reality and light.
Learn from my mistakes, young grasshoppers.
I seriously thought that (in the space of three weeks) I'd be able to manage
- a marathon - did I tell you I did a marathon not long ago? And smacked down a 20 min PB? Oh, I did? Would you like me to tell you about it again?
- fairly comprehensive surgery (the surgeon's phrase) on the inside of my face eww in Melbourne five days later
- my job, which is pretty intense at the best of times, let alone when I'm a bit had it
- my final exams for the year, again in Melbourne
- and my inlaws selling their house and buying one about 15 minutes from here aarrgghh.
This has not been a doddle. It really hasn't. I don't know why I imagined it would be - the downside of being an optimist I suppose! I'm in a bit of pain a fair bit of the time, which is unpleasant, and I've been feeling generally flat and dismal. I saw the surgeon today and apparently everything is normal normal normal = good good good. It's time to get stuff back in my life that I've been missing. Like exercise, and not smothering tiredness and sadness and pain with food. Gotta stop that. I might still give the 'stress sherbies' a hammering from time to time, but I'm already feeling better now I've stopped giving the 'stress bikkies and dip' and the 'stress second helpings and desserts' a pasting. I will have the life I want. I will reverse this slide.
In the meantime, just so you know that I know that I have a really good life and nothing serious to complain about:
"our" beach where we go in our boat
what we did on Cup Day
Tonight before I go to bed I'm going to lay out my running stuff for the morning. It'll be just like old times.
More anon, fascinators!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a life mantra "How hard can it be?"

You know, run a marathon? "How hard can it be?", get a collection of graduate degrees, 'How hard can it be?", not smother a procrastinating spouse, "How hard can it be?"

I've come to the conclusion that the answer to that questions is sometimes "Really bloody difficult".

Emma

Brendan said...

Did you get a boat? Coo!

Wes said...

I hear its summer time almost down there. I'm coming to live with you.

Unknown said...

If the surgery went as planned, that should make up for all the other stuff. :-)