We've just come back from an utterly fab weekend of recharging in the Big Smoke. Noddie stayed at her nanny and Pa's while J and I spent the night at a flash-o hotel and had a splendid meal at a smart restaurant with charming waiters and quantities of delectable titbits made of duck and roast veges and scallops and beetroot-cured smoked salmon OMG the smoked salmon mmmm......
but I digress.
It's 20 days until the M-word.
Look at the sidebar. The biggest number is 31. This is Not Good Enough. My Original Plan was to crank out 34 tomorrow, starting super early and having J drop Noddie at Mum's for an hour or so after he started work at 11.00. But........
J is working from 7 until 3. Are you with me here? That changes my run window from 6.30-11am to 4-8.30pm. On a public holiday weekend. In the winter. Noddie's bedtime is 7.30pm.
#%*&#$%. #%*&#$%. #%*&#$%.
Next weekend will be too soon before the M-word, and J will be working anyway and I have an exam the following Wednesday. #%*&#$%. #%*&#$%. #%*&#$%.
So at the moment these are the possibilities
1. Do the run tomorrow. Extremely unlikely. Yes I should HTFU but this is 2010, year of LBTEPA with No Backbone.
2 a). Work out every single day between now and then and hope for the best.
2 b). Stop eating and drinking altogether yes I've been having too many 'treats', of course I have (see 1). with the aim of having a few fewer kgs to drag around 42.2km in less than 3 weeks ohdearohdearohdearohdear, although that would involve discipline and refraining from wallowing in self pity (see 1).
3. Panic.
Learned colleagues, I await your opinions.
More anon.
9 comments:
There is no way I'd be getting up at 4.30. I'd pick #3.
right with you darl!
Panic is my preferred option. Or denial. Or some bizaro mixture of the two.
Before you panic too much, check out some training plans. Hal Higdgon (which I have used sucessfully) has, for novices, a longest run of 30km.
You have done more than that. Also, you've done it before. You know what to expect out there (lots of pain.) And you know you have done it in the past.
Better undercooked, than overcooked.
Emma
I'm sure the hills on your 30k run would count a bit extra (don't say I didn't warn you!)
I have a few thoughts.
1) I stopped drinking all together a little over 2 months ago. One of the things that I noticed was a rapid weight loss at first. There's more calories than you care to think about in those glasses of wine. I think 2b has some merit...
2) Do you WANT to run this marathon? I just can't tell from reading if you want to do it or not. If you do, then you need to (and you will) figure out a way to make your training happen so you can go in with the mental and physical training to back you up. Noddie can go to bed a bit late one night if needed.
However, if you don't, then why are you putting yourself through this agony?
Suck it up princess .....
Do what you can when you can ... the result will reflect the effort - and that is only fair.
Only go to Plan B ... I think Michelle mentioned Chocolatere & champers .. :-)
Good luck
Eat Em
Me again,
Just noticed you are planning to run the half two weeks after Gold Coast .... so here is a plan (of sorts).
Go to Gold Coast - run the full 'as a training run' for Melb Marathon in Oct ... so a bit slower than planned.
This will allow a better recovery time before Run Melb Half ... then at the half really 'race' it - bust a gut and give it all - and just see how you go.
Remmember my sign off ...
No Pain No Gain ...
Eat Em
Tip#1 - stop stressing! (Though I suspect this might be a little like saying 'stop breathing' and might be hard for you to actually do.) My point is every little bit of worry drains you and makes you less able to perform to the best of your ability.
Tip#2 - focus on what you have done, not what you have not. *Everyone* wishes they had done more training. Don't think you are the only one.
Tip#3 - get your head right. Visualise the event, the scenery, the sights and sounds. (Have you got last year's race video?) Start to see yourself in the event and enjoying it. Don't visualise a time, but rather a feeling. (Include preparing your mind for when your body revolts and you feel like crap too!)
If you can do these three things effectively I think you'll surprise yourself with how well you will go!
Paul :-)
Post a Comment