Sunday, October 22, 2006

Dreaming big

I’m going to sound like a complete half-back flanker* but bear with me. I’ve been really surprised at the amount of ‘oooooh you’re doing a triathlon’ I’ve had since I went public with Grand Plan Summer 06-07 (i). Even the Spousal Unit asked me why I didn’t just work at getting better at running. At the moment I’m happy with my half-marathon. I’ll do more of them next winter. I’m going to have a crack at my 10km PB in December but that’s only because I wrote it in my 06 goals, I’ve paid for the race entry, and I’m finding speed training quite enjoyable.
Digression: Yes! Me! Speed training! Running at a speed where you’re puffed! More than once! (how startlingly fun and interesting it was is another whole, probably deeply tedious, post)
Why do I do these things?
I’ve thought and thought and it comes down to this:
I strongly believe in individuals’ responsibility for their own health.
I plan to be one of those mad old bats tearing around doing surprising things when they’re in their 80s, so I need to practice.
I like adventures!
I like being part of huge buzzy events, and occasions and communities where achievement based on honest endeavour is celebrated.
I like projects and having a plan (hello Captain Obvious!)
I like doing things I can show off about (hello again C.O!)
I like to try and do things that scare me a bit , but not too much, but which I think I could probably manage if I work at it. As a mum and in my not-very-high-powered job, my day-to-day life is consumed by minutiae, picking up the endless tide of shite and doing the washing and making sure my colleagues check their first aid kits and do their audits and all that unnoticed and unheralded stuff. So half marathons and triathlons are how I live large and dream big. They’re kind of my secret life.
Do keep the following in mind when reading of my feats of athletic prowess(ROFL*).
I am VERY SLOW. VERY VERY SLOW.
I am lucky and grateful to be in a good place in my life right now. I am no longer suffering from depression, an unhappy marriage, chronic fatigue, or infertility. There’s absolutely no way I could have even contemplated any of my current projects six years ago. Back then, ‘dreaming big’ was walking to the corner, paying our bills and getting a job.
I started running two and a half years ago. I ran 1 minute walked 4 minutes because that’s all I could manage. At that time my aim was to maybe do a 5km one day. It’s all happened in little steps.
I have a very supportive husband and in-laws, and one healthy child.
Uni will be over for the year in 2 weeks so I will have more spare time until February.
It’s the right time for me to do these things.
I’ve really written this because I don’t want anyone else to be thinking, “Oh dear, I should be doing…….” just because I’m doing them. It’s your time to do what you’re doing.
The main thing I've learned is that it's okay to want big dreams and try to make them happen. You might be taking small steps, but each single little one is important and valuable, because it’s taking you where you want to go. By taking little steps you learn that you can dream big. Start with making a small dream come true for yourself, and see what happens. When it's the right time your dreams will grow.
Oh dear, this has gone all Oprah…. sorry, too many cups of tea, an afternoon nap and a brain-explodingly tiresome assignment I’m avoiding. But I’m not going running until I finish the f#$%ing thing so I’d better get stuck into it.
BTW did you notice I've clocked up 800km on my running ticker this year? FIGJAM*, eh?
more anon, dahlings

Why I really do it - my two inspirations.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

* = rhyming slang for a tosser
* = Rolling On Floor Laughing
* = F*#% I'm Good Just Ask Me

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your inspiration shot! Much the same as mine... whatever rings yr bell, hey? LOL at the thought of you getting in practice for becoming a crazy old bat, and is there any way that I can organise a meeting with Captain Obvious? (you ARE in a cheeky mood today, aren't you?)

Seriously, though, I really love yr idea of dreaming big, and that you are living proof of it. Who knows, maybe i'll be there running triathlons with you in a couple of years. ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL *hits head on wall* "ouch" ROFL ROFL ROFL... okay, maybe i'm not that keen on running, but I get the idea you're putting across, and thx for sharing it!

Have fun with that assignment, and congrats on 800km! HOw many pairs of sneakers is that?

Bolder said...

oh go all Oprah on us!

you deserve it.

keep making your dreams happen.

Anonymous said...

Well, assignments will do that do you! I can vouch for that one, cause my thesis is due in 4 days...

COngrats on the running (really, how many pair of shoe is that?????), and also entering not one, but two triathalons!

You go girl!

Jessie
p.s. your Noddie is absolutely gorgeous!
:)

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

That made sooo much sense to me, you have no idea. Aren't those moments crazy? When you look back and realize how never before did you have the tools needed or the "reasons why" to push through limitations, but now you do it naturally, without a second thought? Mine always tend to be quiet, sneak up on me, and feel so very, very satisfying.

Good for you in being willing to *change* what you are willing to do -- and change your life in the process. It's never easy, it's always in spoonfuls, but it matters so much.

able

LBTEPA said...

Hayley and Jessie - one and a bit pairs. At the mo I'm rotating two pairs and I expect them to last about 18 months before I have to sell Noddie to buy some more. But hey, my knees are important!

Flea said...

Good one! Loved your post.
My uni assignments are marked and handed back, now 1 exam lying ahead of me too.
Good luck to you with the exams! and running! and living full out!