In answer to the question posed by the redoubtable Cilla, to whit: so? How did it go? The short answer is - well! which could also be accurately written well.....
I had about ten days feeling really well after the everlasting chest infection and started to build a routine of early rising and daily exercise..and then....
my sinuses started acting up...I couldn't believe it...I felt beside myself and frantic. I was poking around at the chemist looking for a magic potion or a new head or something, anything, when the chemist, one of the ironman finishers at our tri club (I know this but he doesn't know me) suggested a whiz-bang nasal douche that 'always worked for him'. Apparently it's isotonic or hyperbaric or mesiolithic or something, I can't remember and I don't care - it's the bees' rollerskates! Three days and my schnoz was as cooperative a schnoz as one could wish for! This could really be a game changer. I was able to whiz off to a regional health conference and walk before work and at lunchtime and go to the gym and think about rearranging life to revolve around exercise again. And then......
Four days after that (Wednesday of last week) my father-in-law died, very suddenly. He's been very frail for a while, but this was one of those shocking nice day with the family, out to dinner with friends, drop in his tracks on the way to bed and be found 14 hours later by the meals on wheels lady five minutes before the Spousal Unit and Noddie arrived to have lunch with him situations. Not unexpected, but shocking.
We decided we'd still go on our weekend road trip that we'd organised months ago, on the principle that we could feel miserable just as well driving around the state as at home. I think it was a good idea, but it was three nights away from home, then two nights in our own bed before leaving for Melbourne again for the the funeral. Funerals are very tiring to organise and attend, I find. But I delivered a ripper euplogy even if I do say so myself.
Now we are home again, and in three days I'll be back at work after what's felt like being dumped by a huge wave onto an unfamiliar beach.
The Run Melbourne Half I planned for two weeks' time isn't happening. Nothing that hasn't been about keeping everyone going has been happening. Just Keep Moving has been the LBTEPA way. Keep the washing going, make sure there's food, answer the phone. The self-care standards I've set have been fairly low - drink heaps of water, get to the gym a couple of times and go for the odd walk. This of course has implications for my planned marathon later in the year - 42km is a long way even when you're walking, and I don't do underdone sufferfests. In a week or so, when life and sleep and exercise settle down, I'll have a think and set some goals. Stay tuned......
More anon, staggerers!
1 comment:
Oh vey. I don't know what to say. Take your time. Rest. We will be here.
Post a Comment