Not being one to complain (stop laughing!) I am just going to say how happy I am to have sent off the second draft of my literature review to my supervisor after an 11-hour revise-a-thon yesterday b/c she only sent it back last Thursday - she's expecting, poor lambie and has been a bit off-colour - and the Spousal Unit was working on the weekend and I had to go to Melbourne on Sunday to see my Dad, who is recovering wonderfully thank you God, and the sinus surgeon (all good-ish, just some pesky stuff but we are on to it) and didn't get back until Monday night and had to work on Tuesday morning. Tomorrow when I get it back I'll deal with whatever needs to be fixed up and hand it in. Then all I have to do is my stats exam.
Oh, and train for this pesky marathon thingy I have signed up for and bought plane tickets and booked a hotel......
Look, it is what it is. I've been a bit sad that my (ahem) "readership" has dropped off (grandiosity anyone?) but at least now that not many skinnyfasts read my burblings (hi Wes! Hi Mark! Hi Paul!) I'm not going to get lectured that I'm not respecting the distance because I have fish and chips for tea every Friday and my life ate some of my long runs. And some of my mid-week runs. And a little bit of my cross-training. 42.2km is going to happen on the third of June. It's going to be slow. It's going to be quite painful at some points. But that's ok. You do your impressive, well-organised, amazing 42.2km and I'll clap as you go past. I love seeing really good runners. They are so strong and well-trained and beautiful. But I'm not them, and I am going to do my underdone, slow, cheerful marathon my way.
Mind you this calm could wear off at any time and the AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGHH OMG oshitohshitohshitwe'reallgoingtodie monster could jump out of my head at any time. You have been warned.
More anon, day-trippers!
7 comments:
Just 'cos I don't usually comment, doesn't mean that there aren't lots of readers out there, just like me - lurking about. Love your posts and really look forward to reading them, whenever they show up!
Oh no, I was so self absorbed about my ankle I didn't ask you about your sinuses! Hope the pesky issues can be sorted out easily in 37 days, 14 hours and some minutes....that will give you a whole day to rejoice before SMASHING that marathon.
Sara
Hey, honey, I've been following! Come follow me! :)
Cilla
The marathon will be grand, just like it always is, because it is an amazing feat to accomplish. enjoy it!
So flattered to be called a "skinny fast." It's all relative I guess! And just 'cos people don't comment doesn't mean they aren't stalking you (oops, reading your stuff)!! At least that's what I tell myself about my blog with my (inflated) readership of about, ooh, six? I see my blog as more of an 'open-book diary.' Something the kids will be able to look back on in years to come (hopefully) and understand a little more of what their dad has done.
But about you ... who cares about any of that stuff you mentioned. So what if you eat fish and chips on Friday or miss training runs or, god forbid, have a life!!! None of that matters to us!! What we read about is someone who has their insecurities (like ALL OF US DO) and who sets, and achieves, lofty goals in spite of them. Who cares what time you run? For all we know, Pheidippides was probably a VSM'er too. It hasn't lessened his legacy, has it?
Most people will tell you they draw more inspiration from people who overcome adversity or who achieve amazing things in spite of not being obviously suited to it.
Al, your friends (including blogosphere ones like me) are super proud of you. You have no need to apologise for, or undersell, your own achievements. You'd be horrified if Noddie did that ... about time to show her that mum is every bit as much the athlete as any skinny-fast. And probably even more!
Love, P xxx
I'm totally down with this laid back approach to training... and who you calling fast?
catching up after a week away... glad you are still alive after your 11 hour (!?) revise a thon. Sounds more painful than a marathon, hehe :)
Post a Comment