Friday, July 24, 2009

Died and gone to heaven

Is it bad to have rice crackers and chardonnay for dinner?
It's been a wild week. Not terrible, but more taxing than most. I work as a crisis counsellor, which is always quite demanding but was made more so this week because of understaffing (temporary, arising from admin staff changeover teething problems), combined with a massive spike in call numbers as a result of a local tragedy. I went to a staff development meeting that I'm not obliged to attend and usually avoid because I have never liked discussing "what my soul needs to learn" or my "heart space" (not that these things are wrong - it's just that as a cranky, country-raised Anglo-Saxon Protestant, they aren't really me) and I usually come out feeling chewed up and spat out. As a dedicated optimist, I can only say that I've learned my lesson and henceforth will be giving it A Big Miss.
Through the are you sure it's not knock off time yet? filter, the callers seemed either desperately sad or completely unable to comprehend the notions of personal responsibility or courtesy. Then a colleague did something quite 'challenging' (aka f#%*ing rude and annoying). When I finally escaped after being on deck by myself for the last two hours, when there are usually four of us, a fruit truck had parked me in and I was going to be late picking up Noddie for her tap dancing lessons. There was nothing to do but laugh, and turn Suzi Q up LOUD. I'm a red hot fox and I can take the knocks....
The run I had after dinner was like a warm bath for my tired mind. Of course I didn't want to go - after dinner with the family and sitting on Noddie's soft warm bed reading stories mmmmmmm soft....warm..... the siren call of the recliner was strong. But I resisted! The run wasn't effortless or anything hahahaha effortless running, good one LBTEPA! - my feet, knees and hips behave as though they're completely unrelated to me or each other for at least the first 2km of every run - but it was just so nice to be out there, quite alone in the drizzle, just being my physical self. I puffed and sweated along and thought of nothing except how pretty it was with the haloes around the streetlights, and how much I liked my new tights and jacket, and of Noddie asleep in her bed and the Spousal Unit dozing in the recliner in the warm house waiting for me. I sang along to my music and felt perfectly happy.
I was going to write heaps more but it's Saturday morning already! So in a nutshell:
I ran 19km last Monday along the freeway bike trail. It was SO WINDY I could almost rest by leaning into it . I am SO GLAD I'm not training for anything that involves cycling outdoors in this GALE! Not that I am neglecting Minerva: I spend an hour or so a week on my bike trainer watching triathlon on the plasma, how utterly utterly lame, no?
I'm doing the Sri Chinmoy half marathon tomorrow with a couple of km tacked on beforehand to hit my scheduled 23km. I cannot believe I have turned into a person who would write that.
Uni has started back. I have 2000 words due in 3 weeks. I have to get cracking on the granny square rug I'm making for my friend's baby as it may be induced today! Noddie and the Spousal Unit have gone out and the house is clean because we all worked together to get it done. I think I may have died and gone to heaven. Now everyone, sing it with me! You know you want to!More anon, Wild Ones!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done on the running, you are going great guns atm!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're right on track with the running. You're making it sound so appealing.. You're right about the bike training... It's a bit non-existant for me with the wind like it is... I didn't thank you for the shoes and pedals.. They aren't fitted yet but the shoes fit well..

xo

MorseyRuns said...

Have I told you lately that you are amazing, domestic goddess (with mentoring in vaccuuming for Noddie!), very handy listener and you have this energy that is like the magic pudding.

Mary Sunshine said...

What a great post!

The Sofa Siren is very powerful indeed....I could hear her defeated moans from here. You wounded her big time. Woot!

Unknown said...

Great job running in the wind and have a blast at the half marathon!!

Also - Bike trainer miles beats fully ignoring the bike (as I have...blush).

An unrelated question. Who do crisis counsellors call when they have a crisis? themselves? each other? I just needed to ask. It's now bugging me. LOL

Wes said...

What? You don't like spending time with people who suck the life out of you? LOL... Good for you though for giving a little bit of yourself to strangers. I hope your halfy went VERY WELL! :-)

Anonymous said...

Suzi Q used to be 'hot' ... now she just looks old ....

Take care

Eat Em

PS: Michelle & I agree - riding in a gale sucks ...

Tea said...

"I can't believe I've turned into that person". LOL.....yes, you are now adding mileage on to, not workouts, but RACES.

My dear, you have crossed the point of no return.