Saturday, August 08, 2009

What it's all about

Hi! Back again after that brief sinus-induced hiatus. Luckily their influence over my life is waning somewhat. Thank you horse pills. We're off to the old home town this afternoon for another high school reunion and I want to enjoy myself rather than spreading metropolitan lurgi throughout the countryside. I still don't have any idea what I'm going to wear though!

You might be wondering why I am doing this marathon in October. I certainly wonder from time to time! I'm running this marathon for myself, undoubtedly - I want to see what it's like to run very slowly for the better part of a workday, as you do you don't? oh. Fair enough - but also to raise money for CanTeen, which supported my friend Sally and her family as her sister Kim fought leukaemia.This is an email I sent around yesterday to everyone I could think of. I have to confess I've never really seen the logic in getting sponsored to do stupid things, but now I'm seeing it's a way to overcome that sense of helplessness one has in the face of life's cruel randomness. It certainly is a motivation to train and do this thing as well as I possibly can (not very well, I'm not kidding myself ). Another bonus is learning how generous people are, whether with money or other kinds of support, whether kind (albeit puzzled) thoughts and wishes, practical advice and of course the odd can of HTFU when I need it! I appreciate ALL OF IT.

Anyway.....

HI everyone
*ahem* (straightens shoulders, attempts not to stammer)
In the next little while I'll be doing a couple of things I've never ever done before.One is a full honest-to-goodness-all-the-way-OMG-what-was-I-thinking marathon (that's 42.2km, aka a f#$% of a long way)
The other is asking people for money. I'm running this marathon to raise funds for CanTeen, in honour of my friend Sally whose sister Kim died of leukaemia earlier this year, aged 20.
I'd appreciate it if you'd think about clicking on the link below and having a look. If you're able to spare any cash I'd appreciate your donation very much - a dollar a km is $42 (I've got to stop writing that down, it FREAKS ME OUT), a dollar an hour for my projected time is $6 (ditto)

http://www.everydayhero.com.au/alison_crotty (there's a link on my sidebar as well)

In return for your support, I promise
- to count my blessings and celebrate the gift of good health
- to train regularly with the aim of avoiding injury and getting to the start
- restrict my (public) whingeing to amusingly self-deprecating anecdotes
- wear the BRIGHT fluoro green (and very oddly-shaped) shirt Canteen sent me at least once (not in the race though, I need something with pockets for all the food I'll need)
- send you a photo of myself in said shirt (optional)
- keep doing this (below) until I either finish or am pulled off the course
- not do this (below) before the finishIf you don't wish to donate, and can send along some encouraging thoughts/prayers/emails/spare roller skates at 35km, that would be fantastic! And of course if you have nothing to do on Oct 11th between 12.30 (in my DREAMS) and 2pm, you could come along to the MCG and cheer me in. I'll be just like Kerryn McCann, only way older, heavier and slower. But I'll still be smiling!
cheers and see you soon
LBTEPA

So there you go. I'm off to ransack my wardrobe for something awesome yet effortless.
More anon, reminiscers!

3 comments:

Bek said...

I know exactly what you mean about asking for money, I used to volunteer for Camp Quality and was never good at the fundraising stuff, but this is a really good cause and I hope people dig deep.
I look forward to hearing about the training, seeing the photo in the CanTeen shirt and hearing the amazing race report, If Perth wasn't so far from Melbourne I'd definitely hang out at the finish line to give you a big cheer!

Unknown said...

good on ya' for running for a cause!!

and I've never thought of running a marathon as running slowly for most of a work day, although that is what it would be for me as well. Perhaps that's why it doesn't suit my fancy. LOL

Wes said...

I have saved your donation information, but you must remind me along the way :-)