Monday, August 03, 2009

Far far away

25km? It's a long way. It was hard and my legs hurt. But it wasn't desperately unpleasant. A little bit scary when I misjudged the time and was running in the dark along a very empty dirt road with ditches on either side. A little bit painful when I caught my foot on an uneven footpath and went down ooof in a literally breathtaking trip, fortunately with no ill-effects other than an impressive subdural haematoma - Noddie's favourite new phrase. That child is a worry. A little bit disheartening as it took FOR-F#$%ING EVER and I have to go 17km further in ten weeks' time. It was a little bit encouraging, as I felt that I could have kept up the effort for quite a bit longer. I stuck to a 4:1 run:walk schedule the whole way and it worked very well, until 2k from home I was so cold and it was so dark and windy and I wanted to be back with the Spousal Unit and Noddie so much that I just kept on going. I'm versatile like that, you see.
It's interesting to be a person who can run 25km. Quite unexpected. My brain is a bit trashed though, and I have to study. Awkward.More anon, troupers!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wooot!

starfish264 said...

Woah - you totally rock!

I can't run 5k without dying yet, and there's you knocking out 5 TIMES that.

Very, very cool. x

Anonymous said...

Yay! Well done! Do not worry about the run in 10 weeks time, it will look after itself.

Emma

Unknown said...

that *is* a long way to run. And you did it. And you will go farther. and farther. and farther.

You are a rockstar!

Wes said...

You are slap dab in the middle of the hardest distances. Another 2K and distances after that will be easier. Once you get over the hurdle of what you can do when physically exhausted, there are new broader limits :-)

Well done!!!

Shauna said...

In awe, as always :) Well done tiger!

Cracking up at the photo... so true.

jeanne said...

you are my idol. I want to wrap you up and bring you to my tri on sunday, to keep the VOICES at bay.