Sunday, August 23, 2009

The day the music died

When I got home from the slowest run EVER yesterday, the Spousal Unit was standing in the driveway colluding with the neighbour about the insane secret shed project they think I don't know about. They looked a bit surprised when I lurched past them, mumbling shoot me now, just shoot me now............ then J told the neighbour I'd just run 30k and he looked even more surprised. I only regained the power of coherent speech after I'd got outside a pot of tea and a baked-bean jaffle.
Oh. My. Goodness. It was HAAAAAAAAAARRRRDDDD. It started out hard and slow and went downhill from there. The alarm went off at 4.50am - yes, gentle reader, four fifty ay em - that's not stupid o'clock, that's ten to OMFG o'clock. The reason for this ridiculousness was that J had to leave for work at 10.30 and I didn't want to be cutting things too fine. Scoffed half a vegemite roll and a cuppa and hurled myself out the door before I thought better of it. That's a lie. I thought better of it the whole way. You know that feeling where you can't get your shoe tied properly so your foot slides around? No? Oh well. I just could not get it right... then my knee started hurting.... oh it was a world-class whinge fest out there, it surely was. It wasn't until about 11km in that it struck me - tightening the lacing at the bottom of my shoe might be more effective in keeping my forefoot still than ineffectually fiddling with the laces at the top. Can anyone say DOH? It sounds so minor, but meant that I never got into any kind of rhythm; the first hour and a half is usually the bit of these long runs that isn't quite so rotten, and yesterday it was just niggly and stupid the whole way. And then...the sun had come up and it was becoming quite pleasant yes I know I know, being out running for 90 minutes before sunrise is just wrong wrong wrong, and if you think it isn't well here's a *raspberry* and you can keep your perky virtuousness to yourself THANKYOU and I was trundling up the third-last hill of course I know exactly how many hills there are, waddya think I am, not anal-retentive? when
*cue sinister music*
my music died!
It was the last straw. My legs hurt all the way. I forgot to eat one of my scheduled gels ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY NUTRITION PLAN, and my mood plummeted with my blood sugar. I tripped really heavily and bruised my knee - and let me tell you, endorphins work really well whether they're provided by pleasure or shock, it's just when they wear off that the effects are different- and I was all alone with my own thoughts! Nooooooooo!
If I ran through the permission-to-sook checklist once I ran through it a dozen times. Any joint pain? Sharp muscular pain? Any wheezing or weird sweaty dizziness? Are you soaking wet and freezing? No? Then, LBTEPA my friend, it's not so bad really. It's okay. You can keep going. Have another little sip of HTFU and run for four more minutes (my primary goal is to stay uninjured so I'm using a 4:1 run:walk interval to get the Ks on my legs).
I have to say, though, in some ways it was a nice change to go without music. It was quite peaceful. I might do it again one day. But there's one thing I do know - because I thought it many many times on that pathetic crawl around the northern suburbs - if the Running Gods send me one like this on marathon day, I'll still make it. I can slide down into self-doubt and utter hatred of my utter lack of ability, and trip over things and wreck my tights (luckily my horrid old tights that were going into the op-shop box anyway, not my nice new tights. That would really have upset me. And Noddie was able to use her favourite new words, subdural haematoma and contusion! So it's all good! But I digress) and pick myself up again and keep on going. Yes I can. And yes I will.
And by crikey that pot of tea and baked-bean jaffle were the best I've ever had.More anon, earl grey fanciers!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Priceless, as always. You are going to find race soooo easy by comparison to all this. As the saying goes, the hardest thing about a marathon is getting to the start line!

MorseyRuns said...

Race day sounds like it will be a dawdle compared to this! (And I have a spare ipod if you have any room in your pockets!)
(The word verification is RUFFR- describes your run perfectly!)

Unknown said...

"that's not stupid o'clock, that's ten to OMFG o'clock" - that cracked me up!

What a rockstar for completing your insanely long run under all those conditions.

And did you take a nap later in the day? I would think a nap would be mandatory after all that!!

Mary Sunshine said...

ice bath!

This final bit of torture will make you wish you were still out running...it helps put it all in perspective.

Running 30K is a very hard thing to do. Very. And you succeeded!

Anonymous said...

Just way to many things come to mind ....

I USED to think that stupid o'clock was any time before 6.00am ... now I know it is really any time before 5.00 am (got to luv those early morning bike rides and runs ) ... but your suggestion has merit.

Your head must be trashed after a long run - just way to much going on there - Michelle is the same. Me - I just vege out if posssible ....

Okay - crap run over and done with ... just be ready for teh next one - they are character building (yeah - right ... bullsh*t !!!) - but you get the idea.

By theay, Michelle & I have done something stupid - we have signed up for the GOW100 - 100kms from Appollo Bay to 12 Apostles .. on Sat 10th Oct. Seemed like a good idea at the time .... !!!!!

And as requested ..... Doh, Doh, Doh

Take care

Eat Em

Duane said...

Good job! And you are soooo funny! You make me smile!

Jenny said...

I don't have any idea what a jaffle is but it must be very delicious to be the thing you want to eat after a run like that! Congratulations!

Nancy Toby said...

I've never heard of a jaffle either.

Our American post-race food is more along the lines of "beer". Or "ice cream sundae". Or "massive pizza".

Like that.

Well done putting in the miles!!

Wes said...

that's ten to OMFG o'clock.

That's some funny stuff right there :-) Training for the marathon is not just physical. It's mental too. You keep whining bitching and a complaining. As long as the feet keep moving forward, its all OK!

jeanne said...

what's a jaffle? it's sounds yummy! include recipe and smells next time, please? (i don't know what a vegemite roll is either. or a sook.) HTFU I'm familiar with, however. And am TOTALLY familiar with my shoes feeling not quite right. and being alone with own thoughts: now that's just downright frightening!

you're hilarious. You made me laugh out loud!