Monday, August 17, 2009

28 in the bank

You know that bit of philosophising the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result? I have a new definition: heavyish,almost middle-aged (I'm allowed to kid myself! I'm running the Melbourne Marathon in eight weeks I need some delusions!)woman does VSM (Very Slow Marathon).
And you know that triumphant energetic feeling you get when you charge home at 9.30am after a pleasant 4-hour 28km run? NEITHER DO I!
I do know some things though
- I have the most wonderful generous friends in the world. THANKS THANKS THANKS to everyone who has clicked onmy fundraising link and helped me raise money for CanTeen. I've already had to increase my target amount!
- leaving home at stupid o'clock means you have the beautiful sunrise almost to yourself.
- 28km is a bloody long way, but if you start at stupid o'clock you can get it done by 9.30 and then go about your Saturday
- running 28km before lunch means you spend a lot of time at family parties smiling vaguely and being grateful for soft chairs.
- fluoro green and purple clash horribly. Don't recoil like that! I warned you I'd post a picture of the shirt! But it's ok. I kept my jacket zipped because it was cold. No retinas were harmed during the run.
- fatigue and pain are not bad things in themselves. They are if you let them be. They will suck out the will for forward motion, nay, the will to live, if you let them. I am learning that VSM training is mostly about mind games. And not glimpsing youself in plate-glass windows. In my imagination I am Paula Radcliffe. I choose not to accept reality at this time.
My new best friends are bodyglide (get your mind out of the gutter, people -it's anti-chafing stuff!), blister tape and my toe socks
More anon, packers-up of your troubles in old kit bags!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Pleeeease tell us about the toe socks. Training? Recovery? And I am sure you're glad you didn't run yesterday. Well done, keep up the great work! Cheers, Paul

Anonymous said...

Any training .... VSM or otherwise ... is all about mind games.

When we conquer the mind our bodys can achieve amazing things ... well - that is what I tell my self everytime it hurts - and it seems to hurt more these days ... :-(

And there is NOTHING wroung with fluro green :-)

Take care and good training

Eat Em

Anonymous said...

You're a student, aren't you?

The Melbourne Marathon is the Australian University Championships, Distance Running. There's no limit to team size (top three to count per uni), and I have amused myself greatly by entering myself for my current uni.

When I was at uni the first time (when dinosaurs raomed the earth), there was always a problem getting distance runners. I recall free trips to the uni games for people who could run as far as 10km. I wasn't running then, and I bitterly regret not being a distance runner, when it could have got me free travel. (I was already scoring free travel for my other sport, but two free trips a year would have rocked.)

These days, the free travel doesn't exist, but I'm going to be a university rep in two sports now!

Emma

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Yay for rainbow toe socks! Feel the toe love. I have the rainbow-on-black ones. LOVE them. indarga!