Thursday, July 20, 2006

big sook

I've been looking forward to running at my Mum's for days. If you turn right outside her gate and walk up the hill you get to a path which leads to an oval which leads to a nature reserve and the river path, loads of scenery, relatively sheltered, hardly any undulations. The whole circuit is about 7km. No problem, especially when you run as slowly as I do. Now I'm having a major "I don' wannnnaaaaa" moment. Dreading it, hating the idea of getting into the dri-fit and the mp3 and heading out. Sook city. What's going on? Where is the lean mean running machine (rolls on floor laughing) we knew and loved?
Well the thing is this. Up until the 8th of June, I was having a mighty old time impersonating superwoman. I was working like a maniac on essays due on June 13th and July 3rd, and a stats exam (eeek! and also arrgghh!!) on June 20th. I was also holding down my job, not a struggle as you will have noted below, but still, and spending time with the Spousal Unit and Noddie. I was also training for a half-marathon on June 18th. I hit 30+ km 3 weeks in a row (huge distances for me) and wasfeeling great. Consider my schedule here.....quite intense...but I was juggling it all like a circus artiste and feeling really buzzed that I was pulling it all together. It felt like being someone in a movie! And I was doing it!
Then on June 8th I went to the dentist for a filling, or so I thought... (cue sinister music). An hour and a half later, minus one molar which had had to be surgically extracted b/c it was fused to the bone - yes it WAS as bad as it sounds - I staggered home with 16 stitches and some really good drugs. So I couldn't run for a few days, but that was ok b/c I was tapering for the race. Anyway, getting to the point, I couldn't run my half marathon b/c the tooth had been fused to the bone beneath the sinus and the wound wasn't sufficiently healed. I was shattered - it seemed as though despite all my best efforts the universe had snuck up behind me and sandbagged me. But after sulking madly for a day or so I sucked it up and got on with things, kept working on my uni stuf etc etc. Then the day I planned to hand in my last essay I was so sick I couldn't even go to the doctor - the raging flu had pounced! I'm pretty much better now, but still a bit tentative about "overdoing things". This makes me mad! I'm (mumble), not 80 years old! But I just feel as though my mojo has evaporated. I've lost that gung-ho, go for it feeling.
Ok, blog - this afternoon I WILL put on my gear. I WILL go around the track, whether I decide to walk/run or run all the way. I will not give in to the inner la-la crybaby sookypants. I will listen to Willie Nelson singing "On the Road Again" on my mp3 and I WILL HAVE FUN goddammit. Actually, that might be a bit of an ask but I WILL RUN.
Stay tuned for either whining- or tiresomely triumphant-update.

GOAL UPDATE
No wine - CHECK (only because Mum didn't have any when I arrived last night
Portion sizes - does it count that I only ate half my Red Rooster chips with my Lite Baguette?

RUN REPORT
Even my mp3 was telling me to lighten up LOL. the first songs were
much too young to feel this damn old
I will survive
Yesterday's hero
I'm so excited
hurts so good
I was laughing so much by the time I'd listened to all that that I was over my pity party and my mojo was back
This rebuilding phase will give me the chance to address some form issues I've been thinking about esp the fact that I need to be more upright to involve my core muscles when I run.
BTW 7km/49 min - that's ok for me. I'm pleased

1 comment:

Spark Driver said...

Keep on moving, there will be plenty more Half Marathons comming up.

I would be pleased and very honoured if you could link me to your blog.