Saturday, March 21, 2015

toolbox

All endurance sport athletes have a toolbox of strategies they use when things are sub-optimal, to quote the great Chrissie Wellington.
As a public service, I'm going to share the ones I used on yesterday's training walk. As context, the Spousal Unit had been good enough during the week  to share his GI issues, and I'd had two appalling nights' sleep prior to setting out. Here's what I used to get the job done
- gels and water I learn, I learn

- re-tying my shoes
- re-lacing my shoes
- rubbing the inflamed bit on the top of my foot
- realising that the stupid inflamed bit on the top of my foot comes and goes as it pleases so you might as well keep going
- swearing to myself that I would borrow a mobile from the next person I met and get a lift home
- swearing to myself
- swearing out loud
- several jolly good talkings-to
- Rocky's 'it ain't how hard you can hit' speech on my ip0d, that flows into the Rocky theme dah dah dada dah dah dah dada dah.....
- sorting the music on your ip0d alphabetically, and being pleased you're up to R
- working out a loop course, 'cause that out and back and those repeated loops were Not Happening
- thinking about stopping
- realising you've stopped and yelling at yourself (secluded areas of the trail only)
- noticing your achilles only hurts when you're slumping forward, and STANDING THE #### UP STRAIGHT
- imagining this is the last  8-7-6-5 etc km of the marathon
- imagining this is the last  8-7-6-5 etc km of the ironman
- Relentless Forward Motion. Just Keep Moving
- thinking about beer
Hope this helps! 
More anon, legends!


2 comments:

MorseyRuns said...

I had some very similar dark moments on Saturday- 500m from the end was my darkest moment when I decided that I cared not for the finish line. I had a mate tell me to toughen up and just put one foot in front of the other. It is tough Al, especially when the mental part is added to the physical part at the worst possible time. Glad you got through your session also.

Tea said...

Oh this is just lovely. Every bit of it.