Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Cheerful, disciplined and mindful

As my five faithful readers know, LBTEPA Inc. does like to have something to focus on - 'you say I'm goal-oriented like it's a bad thing' didn't come out of nowhere!
If you'd care to glance to your right you will see that the focus words for the year have changed from 'work hard' to 'cheerful, disciplined and mindful'.
Last year, let's face it, was a bit of a slog athletically (as the LBTEPA Institute of Spin-Doctors has kindly put it - most would have called it a wretched, self-pitying, lard-stacking wallow in disaster), but This Year Will Be Different. Even if it isn't, if you see what I mean.
I'll give you an example: gosh my knees have been hurting like absolute **** lately - is it Another Bloody Injury, Becuase I'm So Fat or part of the Everlasting Rubik's Rehab? Who knows, but I'm hoping to find out on Thursday when I see the physio again - but rather than freaking out/plunging into despair/smothering my feelings with carbs and chardy (BTW did you know there's a French tennis player called Chardy? How fab!) I am following LBTEPA's Way of 2014. I'm being cheerful about it, when possible. I'm being as disciplined as possible with my eating, drinking and workouts - but from a mindful perspective. Oh for ****'s sake LBTEPA, I hear you say, don't go all 0pr@h on us - what's this mindfulness malarky? Mindfulness is deciding what I need right now. Most of the time, discipline will say I need to practice getting up early again and keeping commitments to work out with others instead of chickening out, but sometimes mindfulness will point out that I need to sleep a bit longer or that the long hilly ride the girls have planned is too much when I've only recently been released from 2 years chained to the physio's couch and will only result k's and k's of uphill trudging and days of horribly sore knees. Or it should have *slaps forehead while scoffing ibuprofen*. Clearly I have to practice this.
It's a kind approach, which works better for me than self-flagellation, and I think it'll work better for learning new habits.
The LBTEPA Institute for Behavioural Modification has also belatedly come to realise that 'sort yourself out you fat cow' has not been an effective motivator *slaps forehead again*. The new guiding principle for behavioural decisions (such as it's 8.40 and Noddie has been arking up and I'm tired, will I go out on my bike anyway?) is will this get me closer to another marathon? (answer: yes! And I had such a good time too!)
Waddya reckon? I like it!
This post has taken ages. I think I'm falling into the trap of letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, so here goes, and onward into 2014!
What's your focus for the year?

More anon, twinkletoes!

5 comments:

cilosophy said...

Being Fabulous.

Tea said...

I totally want you to start writing my blog posts.

Kek said...

I love it!

My focus for 2014 is to remember that "Nobody likes a whiney-pants", to eat for both nourishment AND enjoyment and to move my butt daily - Which may involve a badass workout, or may just mean a stroll to the duckpond, camera in hand.

I'm setting daily goals like "Eat something. Read something. Move something. Maybe photograph something." I like these goals way better than lifting certain weights, eating X calories and so on, which seem to make my inner toddler have a major tantrum and go off and do the opposite.. :)

2014 - the year of being kind to myself.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good approach for the year, although I suspect it is easier said than done. When it comes easily, you can deem success!

For me, I think the year will be about persistence. Built into that is flexibility - I'm going to need to keep my eyes on my goals but discover alternate paths to get there rather than the obvious routes. Persistence is about staying the course and not giving up completely. ;-)

Anonymous said...

My aspirations of perfection or as my son says my type Aness (got to say it aloud) is a curse and gets in the way of just having a crack and having some fun.
Perfection is a fun inhibitor