Wednesday, February 10, 2010

painting lessons

As I have mentioned, when we moved into our nice new house it was a sea (a swamp?) of BEIGE. I. Don't. Like. BEIGE. I do like painting, so BEIGE's days were numbered.
Painting can be quite the philosophical experience, you know. Listen to music, fill the tray, wipe the roller.... all very meditative. I will share with you now, if I may, the Wisdom of the Fumes.
1. There's no hurry. It doesn't matter if it takes all day, or two weeks. If you know what you want and keep at it, you'll get there.
2. Some things just aren't that important. If people think less of you for something as small as getting paint on the light switch, they're not your friends.
3. Being careful is important. However, sometimes it's more conducive to your happiness to not be too fussy.
4. You can't kid yourself that you like something when you don't. It won't take. Better to do something about it.
5. It's ok to want things to be different.
6. Don't panic if it looks wrong at first.
7. Wait until you can see the whole thing before you decide whether it's a disaster.
8. Sometimes something you'd never have even thought of turns out to be a really good idea.
9. Changing your world takes a fair bit of work, but it's very satisfying and easier than you think.
10. Painting the living room is a good way to celebrate your birthday. Riding a very long bumpy slide down a hillside five times with a tummy full of prawns and champagne is a new one for me, but I can feel a tradition coming on...........
More anon, Rembrandts!

9 comments:

Mary Sunshine said...

Now I want to paint, too!

I love how you capture the joy and fullness of each moment. I think that's just how a birthday should be.

Crazy big hugs,

Mary

ps. yes on this side of the hemisphere we have a lot of snow...but it's good to know that there is warmth and sunshine somewhere in this world!! Take lots of pictures so we don't forget.

Wes said...

Happy birthday! Lurve your smile. I could share some of my painting adventures with you, but that would take... forever :-)

MorseyRuns said...

Five times! I hope dinner stayed where it was. Hope you had a super day de-beiging your world.

Anonymous said...

Hap Hap happy birthday .....

If you want to do some more painted , our (rented) place can do with amake over :-)

Eat Em

Anonymous said...

Painting is awesome, it makes everything look pretty (so long as you don't spill the paint).

Sue said...

Happy birthday to you. Champagne and prawns, my idea of heaven!

Tea said...

Ahhh the wisdom found in a can of paint. :)

Unknown said...

If you're back in Melbourne (and bored) then I've got some walls you could have a go at too! Paul :-)

jeanne said...

it's your birthday!?!?! HOW DO I MISS THESE THINGS???

i love your lists. LOVE THEM. They are like manuals for living. You could publish these things!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU NUTTER! :)