People are telling me that these long runs get easier. So far longer = harder. I'm not convinced.
People are telling me that the atmosphere of race day makes everything better and will carry me through those last 7km (my longest scheduled run ALL HAIL THE SCHEDULE! is 35km). I'm not convinced.
People are telling me that, like me, they themselves hated every step of the interminable suffer-fests known as long runs, and that they too were consumed by doubt at, firstly, their ability to finish the marathon, and secondly, the wisdom of running a marathon at all, since, let's face it, 42.2km is a Very Long Way, especially if one is Very Slow. My worry is this: after they finished they were immediately consumed by the desire to do another one!!! I don't know what I'll do if that happens. I might book myself in for some intense chardy, chips and couch therapy just in case. The Spousal Unit would certainly roll his eyes and sigh deeply, but he's had a lot of practice at that.
It's a lovely time of year here in beautiful Melbourne. Early spring, blossoms in the trees, just that bit warmer and lighter.....and it's footy finals time and
But not yet....

5 comments:
After staggering through the long training runs, I was kinda surprised at how easy the marathon was. (Oddly enough, I don't write that often, as runners may come and stab me.)
It hurt, and it was a sodding long way, and I was scared, and wanted my mum, but it all basically came down to "Can I keep going?" I just had to keep moving. I didn't have to get up in the rain, or decide to train when I wanted to sleep, it was time to just make it happen.
Also, crossing the finish line? Pure adrenalin, straight to the brain. I want to feel that again. It felt good. I had spent 42.2km believing in the finish line, and it was so good to get there.
You'll do it. It will hurt. You will wonder who the heck you think you are, but you can make it. And when you do, it will feel really, really good.
Emma
After you do the 35K, the 20K will SEEM alot easier :-) You're welcome!!
but serzly... Running a marathon hurts, but you will be in top shape after your taper (not training shape), and the last 10K, the hardest part, will also be your fondest memory...
Nobody said it was going to be easy .... did they ???
One bit of info .... the crowd and atmosphere will carry you thru the FIRST PART of the marathon ..... but DONT expect it to get you thru the last 7 kms .... the last part will be challenging at best and a whole world of pain at worst.
So prepare MENTALLY for what is ahead and I hope that on the day your mental strength is stronger than your pain thershold :-)
Sounds like fun .... :-)
Some people do their first marathon and want more, others say "well I have done that - now onto a diferrent challenge"
Take care
Opps ... that was me - but you probably guessed that
Eat Em
The weird thing is the more running I have done the more it has become my favorite sport, not my best but my favorite. I used to hate it more than anything. It's the GGs favorite too.
Post a Comment