Saturday, January 19, 2008

Just write something

It seems the longer I put off writing the harder it gets, so today is "drag self by scruff of neck to the puter and have at it" day! Mojo has been quite low this week in all respects - could it be the return of the Bastard Bacterial Infection and Horse Pills knocking me about? - I dunno, and I also don't know why I always blame my own lack of willpower/discipline/character/any redeeming qualities whatsoever when I sleep a lot (and don't train much) BECAUSE I'M SICK. But as we say here at chez LBTEPA after a Noddie-disciplining episode, that's fimished now. I think the main thing is to refrain from self-flagellation and remind myself that, let's be completely honest, my spot on the team for Beijing isn't at stake is it? Last night I was all fired up to spend forty-five minutes on my bike trainer when Noddie went into the tired/hot/a bit peaky four-year-old Complete Meltdown she'd been threatening all day. As Nancy's husband put it so eloquently, our highest duty is as parents: I hopped off the bike and onto Noddies bed to read her into calmness and sleep. The bike can wait.
So what's been happening? Half-past dark starts haven't been happening, so that means training has had to be sqeezed into the day and hasn't been happening as much as I'd like. It's been hot and Noddie has been tired and very difficult and thus AFDs haven't been happening - yes I am quite aware of my dysfunctional stress responses and I'm working on them *oooh, defensive aren't we?*.Luckily I've been reading in a lot of other blogs (another reason I haven't been writing? hmmm?)that other intrepid souls have been struggling mightily with CBB* syndrome. It's all very well to say 'Look at me! Here are my impressive plans!', but another altogether to commit to doing what it takes to make my dreams come true. I can't do it in that fired-up, all guns blazing way that suits many people. Fever pitch doesn't last. I just have to think - and act - myself into a state of mind where this is what I do. I get up early. I exercise regularly. I increase my workouts in accordance with my actual capabilities and don't get injured. I eat sensibly and drink in moderation.
I wear cool shoes- yes, I have jumped ship from asics to adidas; thus far the relationship seems very promising
and cool gloves- thanks for the bike shop voucher Mum!
and I run in lovely placesI have to move to my parents' town, I really do...
and I ride up big hillsOK it doesn't look that big from the top but seriously it was HUGE
I remember that all this exercising and racing is a get-to-do, not a have-to-do, and I have fun All The Time.

That's probably enough for today. Cheerio my ducklings!
more anon :)
*Can't Be Bothered

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of dividing my training plan into group A (must be done unless I'm sick/dead) and group B (nice to do if they fit in) - otherwise there's always something that has to drop off the plan because of life and other stuff and then I feel like I've let myself down.

MorseyRuns said...

Don't beat yourself up about training if you are sick- health is so much more important that time on the bike or running. Rest up,get better and do some quality miles.
Your cycling stories have inspired me and I am about to sit down with the Trading Post and find myself a cheapie so I can join you.

Benson said...

I sure hope you shake out the infection quick. You sure have some beautiful things and places you need to get back to.

Wes said...

This comment doesn't mean anything. I felt obligated since you felt obligated to write something :-)

Hope you feel better! Horse pills suck!! I love little girl tantrums! Wait. No I don't!!

Nancy Toby said...

Nice photos!

Yeah, this "training little kids to be normal semi-functional human beings" is hard work, isn't it? But usually fun. :-)

Anonymous said...

I know that feeling - you can see your plans in front of you in all their glorious potential, yet your legs won't carry you there to meet them...
But the good news is that it's all there - up for the taking. The year's still new and fresh...

Do what you do best, make a plan - baby steps you always keep reminding me, and we'll meet up at the Gold Coast come July.

And I would love to have some company on the road to the M.C.G. I can't promise to be fast but consistency's my middle name :D

Jessie

jeanne said...

I now know and use CBB all the time. It's such a perfect acronym, so thanks! And thanks for the australian cheese I had today, too! It was good.

I just try to put one foot (arm? pedal?) in front of the other. I have some vague plans at the start of the week, and I generally follow them as long as I don't think about it AT ALL.

Course my noddie is (mostly) done with tantrums and I don't feel like death warmed over.

I think you are doing GREAT!

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

At least your excuse for not writing is that you've been reading other blogs... I can't claim either. I'm just finally getting good enough at this whole nursing thing to blog with one hand while holding him with the other, so with any luck I'll get caught up soon : )

Thanks so much for all your support in the last weeks - this has been the most challenging time of my life and it means the world to me to have experienced moms like you helping me along.

Unknown said...

I finally figured out that I need to take it one step at a time. So far, I don't even think I *have* goals for the year.

KLN said...

Feel better soon, and love the mindset. You do do all those fabulous things, so don't forget to give yourself some credit!

Anonymous said...

those shoes are going straight to the pool room!