I'm grumpy and I've decided to take it out on you. You may have more fun if you come back tomorrow.
*Beginning of rant*
Over the last few weeks several people have told me they probably won't do (an event) because they'll be 'too slow' or will do a 'bad time'. It seems what they're really saying is that they don't want to join in because they don't think they'll be good enough at it.
Maybe these are just excuses to not do things that they don't want to do? In that case, why not say, well actually I don't want to do that because I'm not interested. Why make up fake reasons?
But what I want to know is this - waddya mean, 'good at'? Waddya mean, 'too slow'? Who said Time A is 'better' than Time B? Where did this come from? When did effort slide down the kudos scale?
We must STAMP OUT this thinking. It sucks the pure animal joy out of moving our bodies. It sucks the joy out of our well-earned triumphs and achievements. This kind of thinking makes us smaller than we are. It's a waste.
Accept that as an 'adult onset' athlete you will never be 'up there'. And unless you make your sport a, or even the, highest priority in your life - and if you really want that, then good on you, I will cheer you as you zoom by - and spend a huge amount of time and effort, and manage yourself really really carefully so you don't get injured, you still won't be 'up there' even if you've kept at your sport all your life. Suck it up.
Then go for real glory.
Have the guts to dream big. Accept your real limitations and responsibilities and still live the biggest life you can. What's tickling the back of your mind that you'd do 'if only'? Find a way.
Glorious.
Have the dedication to say, I know what I need to do - even if that means taking waaaay longer than you'd like - and I am prepared to do it (says she, who blew off yet another 5.30am this morning, sigh...).
Or else say, this isn't what I thought it was, it isn't for me , or it isn't the right time for me to do this.
Take heart and pride in the small daily triumphs over heredity and history and inertia and fear.
Glorious.
Glory is being out there out there in the waves and the dark and the wind and the sun. It's crossing that finish line you weren't really sure you would reach. Glory is in going harder than you thought you could and doing stuff you never imagined.
It's saying, well, that didn't go so well, but I did my best and I'm proud of myself. No-one cares what you look like or your time except you. How freeing is that?
Give those 'not good enough' thoughts the finger. Show up. Have a go. HAVE FUN.
See how good it feels?
*End of rant*
In other news:
Two nights ago I went to check on Noddie becuase she was being unnervingly quiet. She'd rearranged her bedroom furniture.
15 comments:
We have to GIVE other people the liberty to make us feel unworthy. And today, simply don't let others define what is your good and your bad. YOU control your glory.
Period.
wow! That's like a manifesto! Well SAID!
(i just want to lose five pounds. is that TOO MUCH TO ASK?!!?)
Clearly I am able to find success in finishing...else I wouldn't have been dead last (twice) and fourth from last (twice) and come back for more!
I'm totally with you on this one!
hire me out to run with your friends. i could be professionally dead last. i also take performance enhancing drugs like curry. can't run clenched.
ROFL @ ihatetoast :-) A professional DFL is what every race needs!! Well said, LBTEPA!! Spot on :-)
well said :D
Great post!
I can see both sides of this one ....
Side A : A person knows what they are capable of (ie a previous PB on the same course / event)and they seek improvement each time they do that course / event. And if they know that for some reason they may not even get close to the PB or target time then the interest is low .....
Side B : You look at each event as a challenge - all you can do is your best on the day !!
So don't tank it and if you come up short so be it - so long as you gave 100 % you can not ask more ...
There are a few fun runs that I know won't produce a PB because the course is crowded, twisty, narrow etc .... so I do the run anyway - just to run as hard as I can on the night.
I can say that I have yet to DNF an event - although I suspect that there have been a few times when I have done more damage by not stopping. The point being - once you start you are comitted to finishing !!
Take care
Eat Em
I was this problem with a friend, I was telling her I couldn't exercise coz i would suck at it - so we did her runs and walks and i signed her up for dancing lessons, which was totally out of her comfort zone - worked a treat!
You said that very well.
I hope you're feeling better today and find fun and joy and everything you set out to do.
Maybe you should rearrange some of your furniture. Just for fun.
Your rant is the mantra by which I live my life :-)
wildthing
MY EDGE IS MY EDGE.
NOT ANYONE ELSE'S.
IT'S MINE.
For others, my edge may be merely a warmup pace but to me it is MY EDGE--MY BEST--MY CHALLENGE.
My friend, Molly, and possibly John Bingham say this all the time...and so I now actually enjoy watching people pass me in races--I wonder about THEIR edges...but I know that at that moment in time, I'm working MINE.
You are awesome and my life would be much less fun without you.
It is very funny that she rearranged her bedroom. I almost spit my water out when I read that bit.
And I think your rant is dead on. ;)
Post a Comment