Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year

The second annual NYD tri was hard work - it's 41 degrees today and the gym air conditioning, although struggling gamely, wasn't really up to it. But it was fun, in a sick way. Noddie had a sleepoverat Nanny and Pa's last night and J and I went to a party. It was quite like the old days - in the afternoon I whipped up a cool frock to wear, and we slept in until 9am!
Everyone is doing the big reflection/resolution thing and I think that's a good idea, but it's so f%&*ing hot here I'll have to do it in two parts.

WHAT I LEARNED IN 2007
that springs to mind right this minute and what gave me the lesson.
Complaining, bitching, moaning and wallowing in self-pity is a normal and essential part of getting through hard stuff (ankle reconstruction, thesis)
Being really clear about your priorities makes life much simpler, if not easier (thesis).
Most things turn out ok if you are determined that they will (ankle reconstruction, thesis).
People's opinions may hurt me but they don't stop me (the Athena thing).
I am so blessed with loving people in my life. It's important to keep reaching out and telling them (J, family, nearby and online friends)
Big dreams fit into a little life if you let them (triathlon, uni).
Some people look at a problem and only see why it can't be solved. They are pains. Don't hang around with them. Hang around with people who see life as an adventure full of fun things to be enjoyed.

More on goals later, must fall asleep in front of, err I mean watch the Hopman Cup

Happy New Year, my friends :)

12 comments:

MorseyRuns said...

Happy New Year! Thanks for all your support last year- you are very insightful (not sure if that is a word) and inspiring too. Have a great year. Sara

Kathy said...

Happy New Year. I've enjoyed reading your blog, and admire your approach to life. Thanks for sharing it with me.

All the best for 2008.

Anonymous said...

happy new year! how cool is it to have a tri in a gym? That is awesome!!!!!!!!!! you are so very fit and inspiring!

Thanks too for always sticking by me and commenting - it is so nice ot have you in my life!

The Candid Bandit said...

You did do the NY Tri! Wow. You ARE my new best hero.

Happy New You!

IronTriTim said...

Happy new year, good on you for starting the year with a tri.

Wes said...

ha ha! People's opinions can only hurt you if you give a damn!! :-)

Happy New Year!

KLN said...

Oh I was looking to see if there was a TGK Challenge this year -- glad you did it on your own.

Happy 2008!

Unknown said...

Best wishes for a FANTASTIC new year in 2008. All of our learnings are right on, but I especially like the last point. Some people will just drag you down if you let them...we should avoid those people like the plague!!

Duane said...

Happy New Year!

Spark Driver said...

After much thought (usually while out running) I have decided to retire my blog.

I would like to that YOU most of all for motivating me and inspiring me to do my best.

It was you at the 2006 Melbourne Zoo run that encouraged me to attempt a Half Marathon. That has lead me to some of my finest long distance moments.

I would like to wish you and your family good health and happiness.

May all your goals be acchieved, your hills be flat and the wind at your back.

Anonymous said...

you are such a good girl.
funny about words. they do hurt. that silly childhood ditty about sticks and stones is a lie. words hurt. but so do cramps and ankle boo boos and itb and bursitis and and and. if you can conquer the pains of physical exercise (and editing/rewriting a thesis), you can overcome the comments of phkroaches.

jeanne said...

i love fun in a sick way!

those are terrific lessons learned. Especailly THE LAST one. I'm stealing that one.

happy new year!