Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Closure

A very experienced triathlete said to me recently that we should think of what hills are doing for us, not what they are doing to us. I think this is a wise perspective and one I adopt whenever possible. Not when I'm actually riding up a hill, as I'm too busy swearing. But still. The Scary Bastard Hill makes me queasy with anxiety no more. More and more pissed off as it goes on and on and on, yes. Panting and red-faced with hurting legs, yes. Triumphant at the top, yes! Hill schmill. Bring it on! The arrow at the top of the elevation chart is where I stopped and turned back - twenty minutes up, ten minutes down, wheeeeee!
I had a moment of closure yesterday. I finished the run around the river trail that I started last Easter and abandoned when I tripped and snapped my ankle ligament.
I'm sorry I haven't posted much lately. I am so deep in holiday lassitude it's all I can do to get my Mum another cup of tea.
More anon, cruisers!

7 comments:

Wes said...

Closure? Or a new beginning? Ever upward!!!

Mary Sunshine said...

I think you should officially now rename this hill. Something like, Itty Bitty Pustule. ;-)

Great job!

Unknown said...

Hills are hard, but conquering them is OH SO SWEET. :)

The Candid Bandit said...

I can totally relate. I used to have a walking hill (lighthouse hill) that I nicknamed "Muther Farka hill".

One day, it occured to me that MF hill gave me my beautiful new perky bottom.

Great way to look at it. I like Marys version even better. *grin*

Anonymous said...

itty bitty pustule. ha! that's funny.

just don't imagine it popping when you top it. that's gross.

nice new view, you!

Anonymous said...

i will never forget the day i road up a hill and it was so steep that i just stopped still and fell off - so embarrassing! But it just made me want to ride and ride again until it was easy!

Flea said...

Great advice.
Hey, I still think you should live in Perth!!!