Friday, September 22, 2006

how I feel is REALLY not who I am

Blood test results: very low iron and self-destructing thyroid. Side effects: weight gain (or inability to lose weight) and depression. Oh, and tiredness/ weariness/ lethargy/can't-get-out-of-your-own-roadness. Hoo-f#$%ing-ray.
Now I can start to feel better. Yay for drugs! But I'm pleased I got Wednesday's insight before I got the test results. It really helped me to challenge those permanent/pervasive/personal pessimistic thought patterns I was getting tangled in.
- I'm jealous of my friend M going to China DOES NOT EQUAL I am a bad friend.
- I've been a bit slow to get stuck into uni this semester DOES NOT EQUAL I am lazy.
- I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately DOES NOT EQUAL I can't cope with life.
See, it's easy!
I've been a HUGE fan of Martin Seligman's idea of learned optimism for many years - but it seems I'd better dig that book out and read it again, eh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PPPP thought patterns can get awefully tangly...glad you are getting free.

Unknown said...

too right!

well done on beginning the process of overcoming negative self talk- it's very important!

:)

jeanne said...

that's great!!
"My former assistant being called 'superhuman' in his review letter does not mean i then, am less than pond sludge."

Is that how it works??

I'm gonna give this thing a try!
(Can you tell i'm catching up on blogs today?? No long run cuz the half is tomorrow! woooot!)

glad the doctors identified a physical cause for your moods. mmine are just the result of being misunderstood. :)