Monday, September 04, 2006

the really important stuff

It's 8am on Monday morning. Noddie and the Spousal Unit are asleep in the big bed after a night when I changed Noddie's sheets twice and listened to J snore like a combine harvester, as he does when he's sick. We are a House of Plague. Germtown. The Phlegm Palace - sorry, that was a bit gross but why should I suffer alone?
Naturally I haven't been running. I spent Saturday consumed by those frantic mouse-on-a-treadmill thoughts - this is my second bad cold this year, what's going on? I eat well, I'm maintaining my weight, I work out, this isn't right, how can this be happening 5 weeks out from the Melbourne Half? Serves me right for racing too soon before my main event, my preparation is ruined now, there goes my new PB, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...all that stuff.
Then I got a grip. Sometimes people just get sick. It's pretty pretentious to think I'm in complete control of everything that happens in my life. No-one except me cares about my uber-slow time so if I get another PB, great, and if not, I've had one this year. I've had no injuries (touching wood) and I've done the distance three times in the last month so I know I'll finish. Running in a huge event like the MM is about feeling as though I belong in that atmosphere, that excitement, that buzz! And I've done the work, I've paid the money and I have the courage to show up and be slow on the day so I do belong there. It will be a great day whatever happens - and I'm sure you realise there's a medal involved!
I'm still pretty dark about this cold though. Adding insult to injury, I hopped on the scales this morning and seem to have gained 2kg overnight! What can you do?

On to the REALLY IMPORTANT stuff:
HAPPY FATHERS' DAY (for yesterday) J!!!! We love you!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

5 comments:

Simlin said...

you go girl!

Anonymous said...

AAAAH CHOOOO!
I'm going out in sympathy for you.
Luckily enough, we've had all of our colds/flus in this household earlier in the winter and now we're just lovin' up the sunshine.
Poo poo to changing Noddie's sheets in the night, our life is just not our own anymore...hope the little darlin's feeling better.
Hope yr better soon to, Hayley

Cinders said...

Hopefully you'll all start feeling better soon and you can get back out there. Put the scales away and have a great day.

Spark Driver said...

Good post, you have sent shivers down my spine.

Maybe it was Richard Wagners "Ride of the Valkyries" (Apocalypse Now, the chopper scene) playing full blast at my end while reading your post but who cares! It was good.

jeanne said...

Oh you make such good sense! Why can't I think like that??? I hope you all get well soon. Don't worry about the 2 kg it's just phlegm...