Monday, October 07, 2013

Stuff that shouldn't have upset me but sort of did

At the personal training intro session on Sunday I found out lots of new stuff.
I weigh 92 kg on the gym scales
My upper arms are too big for the gym blood pressure machine. They had to get the medical one out of a special bag in a cupboard.
My blood pressure is 135/85 (about 10 points higher on both systolic and diastolic than last time it was checked)
I seem to have shrunk by 3cm since I was 18
My biological age is apparently 61
I can stop myself from crying in public if I have to.
I drink too much tea. I didn't even know that was possible.
Almonds will probably work better for me as a snack than cashews do.
My trainer wants me to count calories. I am not going to. Food is not numbers.
I can only manage 2 minutes at a time on the elliptical, but if I rest for 30 seconds I can do it again nine more times. 
Still, as the wonderful Lisa points out, "Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."  (Arthur Ashe)
This all seems very daunting and overwhelming to me, but feelings are not actions. My actions will be about conquering this mountain of unhelpful habits and bodily weakness.
What's the biggest mountain you've ever climbed?
More anon, karabiners!

More anon,

5 comments:

cilosophy said...

I don't know what the evidence is for biological age....

It's common for people to shrink (vertebral discs lose water as we age), but make sure your bone density is ok, as well as your vitamin D.

everybody drinks or eats too much of something.

I am glad you are not calorie counting - mindful eating with focus on portions and adequate nutrition is best, for me at least. Focus on what you can value add, rather than subtract. For instance I had a green salad with my spag bol today.

You are super brave. Onward and upward. You will get there.

Unknown said...

I counted calories for a week when I got serious about my weight. Just one week. That was enough to know where my calories were coming from so that I could make meaningful changes. Maybe you could do the same; commit to count for a single week? Then toss out the counting...

Tea said...

Wow, LBTEPA, just wow. That quote just sort of summed up everything.

btw: I don't count calories. I did it for years and years and decided that I couldn't have it rule my life. I hope it works out for you as it does for me. I'm happier when I can enjoy food and not count it.

Tessa said...

Warm hug from total stranger to soften brute honesty of trainer *hug*

I'm glad you're not counting. My rule of thumb: Is this worth the calories? If yes, enjoy without guilt, if no leave and move on.

Also, too much tea??? Black tea? Maybe switch to green/herb tea?

Anonymous said...

I count- it works for me, if it doesn't work for you, then find something that does? I had to accept that I couldn't out train a bad diet after my mother heard me list my exercise regime and then asked "So why are you so fat?" Writing down what I ate made me gasp when I saw the sheer daily volume.
I don't know what to write, but I know that the random number generator (as Em calls the scales) is not the thing tie your self esteem to.
Sara