...that should actually read Still here? So am I! How are you all? Keeping well?
As my five faithful and astute readers will have noticed, there has been little blogging at Chateau LBTEPA of late. This is becuase your hero is quite determined that this year will not be one tedious OhnooonotagainI'msickandcan'ttrainwoeisme post after another. So now that I am sick (and the above, I must confess has been a recurring motif in my thoughts and conversation), I've been a bit stuck for words, and energy for that matter. To be quite honest I've been riding the self-pity train all the way to Poor Me City. Trust me, you don't need to read about that.
But still
- it's been six whole months since the last Attack of the Bastard Sinuses. My five faithful readers will recognise that this is A Very Long Time between antibiotics for me. Hurrah!
- having the Best Sinuses Money Can BuyTM makes a huge difference. With this much room in the schnozz area, all I have to put up with is feeling weak and sick and a bit of pain, not OMGifImovemyheaditwillexplodepleaseshootmenow. Again I say, hurrah!
- although I'm very disappointed at missing the tri club championship race tomorrow, if Chrissie Wellington can suck it up cheerfully and graciously, then so can I. These things happen.
Now it's 15 weeks until VSM #4. I'm Quite Excited and also Quietly Confident. Let me tell you why.
The other week I set out on my first Long Run of this campaign (don't laugh, that's what I call them, it makes me feel all Napoleonic). Things did not bode well, my friends. Noddie and J dropped me off 14.5km from home while they went out in the boat (no chance of a lift home). It was 1pm (getting to the warmest part of the day) and smoky from the bushfires (not the best conditions for The Best Sinuses Money can BuyTM even at their efficient best). I couldn't get my shoe tied properly. My hip hurt. My water belt kept slipping. This whole marathon thing was a joke, I was a joke and what was I thinking putting myself through this humiliating BS again? It was a true blue whingefest all right. And then....
I remembered how to run. It didn't get easier and I don't think I got faster, but something in my head changed and I realised I know how to do this. Just Keep Moving. Think about your form and your breathing. Listen to your music and enjoy the scenery, the paddocks and the cows and the river and the trees. Run three, walk one. Let it hurt as much as it hurts and take as long as it takes. It was a good run, in the end. I've done another one since. It was good too.
More anon, cheerful pressers-on!
5 comments:
Nice one Al, glad you got through that crappy hating part of the run (sure sometimes it lasts for about 95% of the run) and enjoyed it. I don't often finish and say "it was a good run" and the fact that you have followed it up with ANOTHER ONE means it cannot be a coincidence! Sara
I'm pleased I'm not the only one who feels like they've forgotten "how" to run some days. At the end of it you always feel better for having gotten out there and done it :) Spectre.
It is not possible that it is 15 weeks to GCM. *faints* Glad your run came good.
Emma
yay for good runs. i think any runs without the bad pain (aka my knee pain) are good runs no matter how slow. :-)
spectacular recovery. Mickey Mouse would be proud :-)
Post a Comment