Thursday, September 02, 2010

How would I know?

Alarm set for 6am - check
Running gear - check
Half banana and water - check
Sinus spray, decongestant medicine and asthma puffer - check
7km run- check
Post-run ibuprofen (for sore face) - check
It struck me this morning that my tolerance for discomfort may be too high.

Knowing when to stop is something I grapple with on a reular basis. I don't feel that much worse after a workout, and I'm pretty sure it's just another over-friendly virus, to which, as my five faithful readers know, I am tiresomely prone. The Spousal Unit and my mum and dad have been rolling their eyes at me though. I don't know, maybe I've become a bit too resigned to it all? After the last couple of winters I've come to the conclusion that if I'm going to get sick, resting does absolutely smeg all to prevent it. So I might as well plug on until the germs win and I have to stop. This may or may not make sense. How would I know?
I've been self-destructive in the past, and this doesn't feel like that. Taking the stance well, I'll just keep working out until I feel too crook to go on might seem a bit sick on some levels, especially given my usual inability to notice that it was actually time to stop quite a while ago, but it is a more useful strategy for me than oh f#$* f#$* f#$* I'm sick AGAIN this is all my fault all is lost whaddamIgunnadoooooo? Resigned acceptance works much better for me than helplessness and self-blame. Less tiring - and much less tiresome to others.

In other news, after a long, wet, cold winter the plum blossoms and wattle trees are out!
Hellooooooooooo Spring! Welcome back! So happy to see you!
More anon

5 comments:

Shauna said...

Ohhhh wattle... I'd forgotten about wattle. It's so gorgeous.

"resigned acceptance"... oh dear :) look after yourself you legend you!

Unknown said...

Maybe you are allergic to those blossoms! I am. And your symptoms remind me of my allergies.

Bek said...

From-one-stupidly-determined-refuses-to-put-down-my-superwoman- coat-at-all-costs to another...

After several musings similar to this I now find myself very banged up and sore after my appendix perforated on the weekend. I didn't go to hospital til the next day (the kids needed sleep) and I am now thinking I might need to work out how to make sure I get what I need.

Don't wait for the catastrophy...you need to look after yourself!

Dare I say...perhaps 2 most amazing marathons should be celebrated this year?

You are already awesome, you don't need to "Do" anything else to prove it. You need some just to "be" awesome.

Wes said...

I agree. Excessive HTFU is probably not a good thing, but nobody knows you like you know you... :-)

annaleigh said...

That's an Acacia tree!!! :-D

I'm glad to hear you are sounding *much* kinder to yourself xx