Saturday, November 14, 2009

I know how

Right.
The last four weeks, amigos, they have been the biggest scoff-and-slackfest seen in LBTEPAville since the great eat-a-thon and laze-o-rama of 2003 (aka gestatingly awaiting the arrival of the Noddmeister). There's been a lot of movement, I grant you - we are moving to the country, as I may have mentioned. In addition, my waist is moving out, my weight is moving up and my behind is heading south. This is Not Good.
But Enough Is Enough. So Far and No Further.
If I may be fanciful, the easy life is a bit like The Borg. Little by little you let things slide. A missed workout, an extra helping, a nasty comment when holding your tongue would have solved a problem. Listening to your own excuses for not being who you want to be. Before you know it you've been assimilated into the the slack, soft thoughtless life, and you don't recognise yourself any more.
This might seem an extreme response to a few very eventful weeks where I've actually exercised a fair bit, but this is my blog and I'll be as histrionic as I want to. I read a blog post once where a severely obese woman was listening to a friend grizzle about gaining five pounds, and she thought, five pounds? You're worrying about five pounds? And then she thought, what if I'd done something when I first gained five pounds? It was a good post, I wish I'd kept the link. The main point of it was that there has to be a point where you stop, look around you and say, no more. You have to Draw A Line.
Now the Plan Is This.
(of course the Plan includes charts and stickers and complaining and stuff ups and why am I bothering?s, but that's the day-to-day stuff). This is the guts of it. This is The Line.
I am LBTEPA and this is what I do.
I exercise almost every day.
I drink lots of water and eat lots of fruit and veges.
I seldom eat junk food.
I don't eat chips or chocolate (don't gasp in horror, I'm not actually all that mad on chocolate. And it's mince pie season soon.)
I feel uncomfortable as I break old habits.
I get tired.
I do things that are not always convenient.
I am patient.
I set high standards for myself.
I am LBTEPA and this is who I am.
Now, you're saying to yourself, ewwwwww. That doesn't sound like fun AT ALL. How long can she keep it up?
Getting back on to the straight and narrow always sucks. Oh yes, it does. But I've been here before. I know how to do this. I know the slog will be worth it. Uncomfortable and tired and sore and impatient will last for maybe three weeks. I can hack it for that long, becuase I know what comes after that - I'll feel really good again! I'll be on a roll again! And I know how that feels. Bring. It. On.
More anon, wave riders!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Great post!
I just went to the Slow Fat Triathlete site - she's the one who got me going on all this a few years ago. Apparently she is starting all over too - she was sick for a year, gained back every pound she'd ever lost and then some, has all kind of joint issues... for those of us whose natural state seems to be lazy and fat (I mean me, not you!) there is never a moment when one can say: that's it, I've made it, I've conquered my issues and it's a smooth coast from here!

Anonymous said...

Since we share the same personality type, I will remind you what you did before the great sloth-fest.

You ran a marathon. Lazy people do not run marathons. Therefore, you are not lazy, you are giving yourself a break for recovery after doing something really, really tough.

That being said, welcome back to the exercise pond, the water is fine!

Emma

Unknown said...

Great post. You can do it!

My waist is heading out and my weight heading up too. I did this to myself though. Time to get back on the bandwagon *sigh*

K not Kay said...

You said it: Listening to your own excuses for not being who you want to be.

Just stick with it until the endorphins really, really kick in. :)

Wes said...

Perfectly normal after completing your first marathon. Now its time to go go go! Woo hoo!!