Friday, October 03, 2008

Doublethink

Now that the rotten stinking pig bastard everlasting bronchitis seems to have buggered off altogether touching anything wood within reach and I am back to regular exercise - yay! yay! - I'm having to manage a mad kind of doublethink. You see, I am currently as weak as an asthmatic kitten and as slow as a drunk slug. Let's not mention the Return of The Lard. All the gains from all that work last summer and autumn have evaporated. Gone. I'm frustrated and discouraged. *frowns/pouts/feels depressed*
ALERT! ALERT! Bleating and wallowing in self-pity imminent! Intiate evasive action! Activate doublethink!
But what is doublethink, you ask? Avoid those unsightly wrinkles, dear reader, and knit not your brow. Doublethink works like this:
1. Eradicate all memory of how effortless things used to be, how 2km or 40km or 15km were just ordinary swims, rides or runs. Pine no more for those dear dead days. That was then, this is now. Suck it up.
....while simultaneously.....
2. Remember how very good it felt to be that strong, and know, somewhere deep down, that I can get back there. Remember how consistent effort works. Remember that it does work.
See? Tooooo confusing - like a speeded-up game of table tennis that is only visible at the very corner of my eye. But it's helping me get out the door each day. Lumbering will change to ease, 17km/hr will become 25. 1000m will become a warmup. Patience, grasshopper.
Unrelated: the chappie who cut my hair today (whom I had not previously met, and who did a smashing job BTW) asked me if I believed in angels. He told me they have messages for me. He seemed otherwise perfectly normal. This is by no means the only angel-themed strangeness to happen lately. Hmmmmmm.
I've been writing a list every day of ten things I'm grateful for. It's changing me.
More anon, cherubim!

8 comments:

SWTrigal said...

OH man...brinchitis sucks..feel better soon my friend!

Wes said...

Bout time that pig bastard got the hell outta there... Sometimes, the joy of traveling overwhelms the place you are actually at. Know what I mean?? :-)

jeanne said...

good luck with that doublethink thing! it worked well in "1984". :)

i like the grateful list. i should try it.

Anonymous said...

i don't get the new-age reinterpretation of angels and their purpose. i also don't get fairies.

bring back the olympians. real ones. zeus and his mates.
they'd knock that bug AND you'd have laurel wreaths to make your new do even more hotbabiddy.

Unknown said...

Get well soon!!!

Kevin said...

Hope you feel better soon

Sue said...

Did you ask him if you could preview the messages and delete any bad ones?

Mary Sunshine said...

I believe your strength will return faster than you can say, "rotten stinking pig bastard!" and gone will be any muscle microtears that have now had a chance to heal completely....and in the end your body will thank you.

And I believe in angels mainly because you ARE one!