BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Rejoice

Sorry if this is a bit garbled but I'm going to be super busy this week & most likely won't have time to post. I just wanted to make sure I always remember how happy I feel at this moment.
Today's race, with its decent swim, good bike and fairly tragic run, was brought to you by this quote from John 'the Penguin' Bingham's book The Courage to Start:
"we need to spend less time worrying about doing things well and more time rejoicing that we are doing them at all."
Ten years ago I walked with a cane and hoped I'd get better from from chronic fatigue syndrome if I didn't give up. My friend A still struggles to recovery from CF. Two years ago I'd just trashed my ankle and didn't know I was facing a reconstruction. My friend M would have loved to be out there today but can't race this season for medical reasons. I kept thinking of these things today, and of a comment Nancy once made: this is a get to do, not a have to do. I get to do triathlons with my strong healthy body, and you can't wipe the grin off my face.
Today I got third place - out of four!! (I hope your knee gets better soon, Jill) - and took out the series Athena championship. So far this season I've done six sprint triathlons, two Olympic distances and two ocean swims. It's been one of the best summers of my life! Special thanks are of course due to the Spousal Unit and Noddie for being the best cheer squad a woman could wish for *mwah*
Take it from me, kids: never, ever underestimate the power of optimism, perseverance and good friends.

Life is wonderful
So are good people. So is swag!(click and have a look - mine is red!)
More anon, blessing-counters!
And bring on Geelong!

18 much-appreciated comments:

Jadey 0:-) said...

WOO HOO!!!!!
Congrats

bekkles said...

YAY!

AWESOME! WEll deserved victory! You are a true inspiration! Thanks

jeanne said...

holy crap, woman i'm in AWE! you are amazing! CONGRATULATIONS!

Jenny said...

What a great year you've had and I so love those quotes!

SWTrigal said...

Congratulations!! I think you are ready for IMWA!
:)

Kathy said...

You have done awesome - well done on a fantastic summer of racing!

Mary Sunshine said...

Congratulations on a whole lotta great racing!

Your pictures are fabulous and tell the story of a strong bold beautiful woman who is living for all to see!!! You are a hero.

Big cheers for YOU!

Mary

Nancy Toby said...

I love that big old #1!!! Perfectly appropriate!

And thanks for the kind mention!

Nancy Toby said...

You made me look it up. Here it is, from 4(!!) years ago:

http://nancytoby.blogspot.com/2005/06/my-advice-to-myself.html

Brendan said...

Wow my sister is a winner(Don't worry I would love even if you came second)

skinny latte said...

Well done...your zest and enthusiasm is so contagious! You deserve to be so proud.

Wes said...

That's good stuff!! The best summmer ever sure brought a smile to my lips :-)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Great job - you are rocking!

Anonymous said...

I think there ia a saying ....

"Go hard or go home" .... well you have gone hard all summer - great work Al ...

Eat Em

PS: Michelle is still looking for a bike ride - when you get time LOL

Duane said...

You are awesome!!!!!!!

Iron "GeekGirl" Misty said...

Nice hardware! I love Bingham's book.

CNuk said...

What an amazing, touchy, warm and fuzzy, and all kinds of wonderful post!

IHateToast said...

you must be bathing in 100% champers and soaping up with habaneros!