BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 05, 2007

No idle threats

I never make idle threats, so I have lodged a formal complaint with the Equal Opportunity Commission against the triathlon organisers on the grounds that it is inequitable (and unlawful) to offer particular competitive conditions to men and not to women. This is not to say that all races must offer Athena and Clydesdale classes - but if you offer one then you have to offer both! It's not that difficult to follow, surely...
J kind of sighed and asked me, do you need this right now? All I could say was, once I recognised what was going on, and knew that it was wrong, and knew that there was something I could do, then I had to do it. Now it's in the hands of the EOC and could take several weeks to get going. The more I talk to my friends, the more convinced I am that I have done the right thing. The prejudice against larger people, especially women, grows more and more overt all the time.
Don't get me started on the BMI...grrrrrrrrr. Go to Jeanne's page and follow the link to the illustrated BMI for an eye-opener. And as for the flaming I got when I put a thread about this on coolrunning! Mind you most of that was from some prat using the handle Kipketer - he clearly has issues....unless Wilson Kipketer actually gives a rat's backside about my actions - oooh!
The thing is, I'm very confident at sports (I said confident, not good LOL) and I'll do any damn event I feel like whether or not I'm the lardiest or the slowest or have the worst hair or whatever. Many women aren't so lucky. My own dear sister said she'd think twice about going in a tri because she'd feel so bad competing against all those whippet-women - no criticism of those genetically-blessed creatures implied of course. She is as game as Ned kelly, my sister, and I'm doing this for her and women like her.
Enough on that for now.
This weekend is the Melbourne Marathon! I'm still pretty cut that I can't do the half and finish with a run on the MCG *pouts*. Next year. I'll be spending the time productively, screaming, yelling and throwing jelly snakes at our friends as they zoom/trudge by as part of the coolrunning cheersquad instead! (Kipketer is from Sydney so I should be safe). Not quite as cool as running it, but immeasurably less painless, and the last two years they've made me feel like a rock star as I trundled by so I'm happy to help out.

This post has got a bit out of hand so I'll have to tell you All About my Big Plans for the summer next time. Something to keep you awake, eh?
More anon, crusaders!

17 much-appreciated comments:

Celeste said...

I am quite happy to compete in events for "myself" but I would not be comfortable "racing" so I can see where your sister is coming from.

I'd be interested to see the outcome of all of this. So they get ordered to put on an Athena event. What happens if no one enters? Or is it the principal of the matter that's at stake here?

LBTEPA said...

It is certainly the principle of equal opprotunity in sport that I am defending. If there was only one entrant in the over-65 female category I bet they'd still offer it the next year.

Wes said...

Go get'em LBTEPA! Leave a few bite marks in their arse for me :-)

Simlin said...

Nothing quite like a woman who has the courage to take actions on her convictions! GO LBTEPA!

Hann said...

My previous comment did not post, I'll try again. Good luck with the outcome, I hope it teaches them a lesson and the outcome is good.

Duane said...

Good on you!

Linda said...

Good for you - go get 'em.

Siren said...

Amen Sistah. It's not right for them to have one but not the other.

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

Good on ya'!!

Sue said...

Good on you - too many people mouth off but take no action!
Found myself a 50km ride to do - but there's a Rugby World Cup semifinal that day, so I'll have to find another one!

MorseyRuns said...

After reading their response I can understand why you feel then need to take it further. I feel a bit daunted by some of the people on CR- there are some fantastic supportive people, then there are some nasty types.

RunMumRun said...

Go Girl. Kick some skinny arse.

Love you and your spunky.

Jenny said...

I've just caught up on this topic and YOU GO! I can't wait to hear what the EOC does! I've only done just the two events so far, and one of them didn't have an Athena category (you could sign up as one on the form, but there weren't different waves, or prizes, or anything. But it didn't have Clydesdale either. At my height, Athena is sort of pointless - I will never in this lifetime weight under 150 pounds, nor would I want to. I'm sort of a super-Athena at 190 and wouldn't it be great to compete only against others like me! On the other hand maybe in that case I'd be less motivated to lose another 20 pounds!

Kathy said...

I'm really proud of you for having the determination and perseverance to pursue this. Way to go.

airlie said...

you blody legend - kick their arse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nancy Toby said...

Best wishes on a successful outcome!! I hope they don't just cancel the Clydesdale category in retaliation....

Dante said...

Just saw your topic on CR, unfortunately the replies reveal another example why I typically avoid the site nowadays. It's not like the good old days =(

Best of luck with your complaint. Having a look at the results last year, there were 4 clydesdales entered to race 6, hardly overwhelming yet still available.

I suspect there's little demand for the athena group mainly as a result of most people not knowing there's potential for it to exist.