BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Thoughts on the F-word #1

In less than two weeks it will be my birthday - the BWSNBN. I won’t be in my thirties any more. Pardon? What’s going on here? Why wasn’t I informed earlier? Can I get off now? (Slaps self in order to get a grip)
So what has been going on?

Since 1997 I have
- Inhaled chemicals in a workplace accident
- Been bullied by my evil boss and driven out of my job
- Separated from and divorced the ‘what was I thinking?’ husband
- Lost 90% of my friends, who blamed me (bastards)
- Gained weight
- Been unemployed and broke
- Fought my way through chronic fatigue and depression
- Endured infertility, IVF treatment, an awful pregnancy and a traumatic birth
- Discovered we can’t have any more children
- Almost died from anaphylactic shock

And also
- Been to Canada, Japan and Italy
- Had a fantastic fling with an older man (while I was separated!)
- Travelled first-class around Australia
- Met and married my beloved Spousal Unit.
- Begun psychology studies
- Regained my health
- Gained satisfying employment
- Started our property empire (LOL)
- Had my darling Noddie
- Lost weight
- Taken up running and triathlon
- made new friends

I’m glad I didn’t have a crystal ball when I was 30.
Sometimes I feel a bit sad about all the things I wish hadn't happened, or that I wish had happened! Mostly I don't, though.
Try this: - put the two halves of the list in the other order. It has a completely different effect! Maybe someone reading this who is in the middle of bad times can take heart - I am living proof that if you stay hopeful and keep working toward your goals, life does get better.

More anon, darls (I promise there are only 2 parts to this self-indulgence)

13 much-appreciated comments:

Briony said...

It's not that bad on this side of the hill - trust me!!
Bri

KLN said...

I survived the same birthday last summer (my summer, not yours ;-)). I was so so apprehensive and scared, but I have to tell you, life is terrific on the other side of it!

airlie said...

i wish i could take that list and shove it in the face of anyone who thinks that they have had a hard run for their money!

Wes said...

That's just awesome. So many people get wrapped up in the "It's all about me" syndrome, they just don't realize things like this happpen to other people until they share.

Congratulations on overcoming adversity. More congratulations on all the wonderful accomplishments. In my forties, I am coming alive for a second go at life. Join me?

Ashley C aka Kitten said...

Thanks for sharing, it puts my current "difficulties" in perspective.

IHateToast said...

the crystal ball can be so tempting. i've been wanting that a bit. not for anything other than medical, but the temptation is there.

and if you had changed anything, there mightn't have been a Noddle or most excellent S.U. what you have now you'd hate to lose, right? i hated my uni, came out of it with one friend. ONE... but i'd not lose that friend for a do-over ever.
Hippo Birdie two Ewe (early!)

Shauna said...

holy crap, what a decade! just amazing to think when you turned 30 would you ever have thought all that could happen!? a decade well lived, i say :)

c2s Hayley said...

Hope my thirties are that eventful when I get there (LOL!)

I truly believe that you have to have the bad to appreciate the good.

The thought of BWSNBN can't be THAT bad, can it?

Spark Driver said...

Don't grow old gracefully I reckon. Do it kicking and screaming!!

Sue said...

I've said it before - 40 is great! And regrets are just a waste of energy and emotion. Celebrate all the great things you have done and are going to do!

Linda said...

Don't listen to them. I'm sure it's all downhill from here, everyone is just trying to make u feel better - lol... Seriously, what an amazing 10 years. Lots of good stuff, lots of scary stuff.
I betcha you're going into the next scary decade the healthiest you've ever been.

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

I'm about to turn 42 and I actually think my 40s have been WAY better so far than my 30s. You just never know what is on the other side of that hill 'til you get there!!

jeanne said...

life begins at 40! no, wait i mean 50! whatever!
that's a lot of crap you went through. and LOOK where you are now!!!

Who is it who said you have to go thru the bad to get to the good? When does the good part start again?
:)