BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Race Report - Gatorade St Kilda triathlon

Gatorade Triathlon Race 3 St Kilda
THE FACTS:
750m Swim: 15:35 – although 250m longer this was only 3 min slower, just demonstrating what a lame effort I put in last time LOL
T1: 2:16 – 1 minute faster, including getting my wetsuit off!
20km ride: 49:24 – 1:01 slower than last time. It was quite a bit windier today, and muggins here dropped her chain at one point (note to self: practice practice practice those gears!).
T2: 3:08 – 0:30 slower, including changing from bike shoes.
5km run: 34:10 – 3:00 faster.
Overall: 1:44:36 – 1 minute slower, including a 250m longer swim
THINGS TO AVOID IF POSSIBLE:
- POOR PLANNING!!!
- Forget the event is on and do four training sessions in the three days prior. Can anyone say “tired legs”? Also “you idiot”?
- Late nights for the two nights previous to the event (I had no control over Noddie waking every three hours on Friday night, but it didn’t help).
- Packing my race bag at 11pm on Saturday night (see above) – I would have enjoyed the party-of-no-escape more if I hadn’t had that to do when I got home.
- No practice at all on the clipless pedals prior to the race. This turned out ok, but I was extremely worried and unhappy about it.
- No practice doffing the wetsuit – once again this went well but was another source of anxiety.
- No practice with using Sport beans instead of gatorade for the run (see above re: ok, anxiety).
- Chafing! Note to self: get some shorts where the elastic hasn't perished ow ow ow
THINGS TO DO AGAIN:
- Make the most of the time I had. As I set up my transition I visualised the order I would do things, and then rehearsed it as I was doing the swim and ride.
- Failure-proof the day. As far as I was concerned, the only thing that could make it a bad outing was if I fell off my bike and broke my arm.
- Visualise things going well – J suggested this regarding unclipping my pedals, so I spent quite a bit of time imagining them clipping out easily whenever I needed them to, and they did!
- Consciously stay “in the moment”. That is, I really tried not to think about the ride and run during the swim, or the run during the ride. I had to trust my training, and, while not going foolishly all-out, not “save myself”. If I crashed and burned in the run, tough.
- Concentrate on a higher cadence in the swim. Very happy with that.
- Spray legs with cooking spray for faster wetsuit removal – I was out of that thing like a banana from its peel LOL!
- Use mantras. “My legs are long and I ride strong” for the bike, and “I am strong and I run fast, I stay focussed on my task” for the run.
- Scarf down a few Sport beans at the start of the run and a few more at the turnaround. This was probably overkill in terms of nutrition, but I was feeling weary and flat from my stupid week.
- Thank the event marshalls. This is not only a good distraction, but also spreads the love, and you know I’m all about that!

My nephew, in his first triathlon managed the swim quite well, and hammered the ride and run. I was so happy that he had such a good day!

I've had a few comments that some people would love to do a tri one day - all I can say is find one, pay the money, and do it - what's the worst thing that could happen? Trust me, once you realise you won't lose your spot on the team for Beijing, it's all good :)

13 much-appreciated comments:

Celeste said...

Congratulations on what sounds like a fabulous race!! Your 5km time is very impressive - especially at the end of a tri!! Well done!

Simlin said...

Sounds like someone is riding high on a good result!

KLN said...

Nicely done!

Can you get bodyglide out there in Oz? It is THE BEST thing for chafing, especially for curvy female triathletes! I use it all over my body :-)

Shauna said...

kick ass! :) good on ya!

and i like how you're already making your list of how to approach the next one... that's dedication :)

Wes said...

Yay! Sounds like a great tri! Thanks for sharing the lessons. Now, I've heard of Body Glide, but cooking spray? LOL. Did u use original or flavored :-)

LBTEPA said...

LOL it was olive oil spray Wes!

Anonymous said...

Well done alison. I would like to do a tri one day where each person does a leg ie a team tri. I put my hand up to do the bike leg :)

Frankie.

Duane said...

Congrats! Sound like you had fun! Cooking spary it is!

Wendy said...

Congrats to you and your nephew!

jeanne said...

Fantastic! Well done! You have totally inspired me!!!! maybe...maybe one day...i too can be like you!

I LOVE your list of things to do again. Great list!

lisa jane said...

Yay for you.I think perhaps the worst that might happen if I attempted a tri would be that I would die publicly and rather ungracefully.Actually i think thats proably exactly what would happen.

GeekGirl said...

Congratulations to you - very well done! I hope you had a lot of fun and will do many more in the future!

IM Able said...

Fantastic race report! Sounds like a huge success and you ceretainly rocked the numbers! Rock on, girl!